How to Start Ostrich Farming in Nigeria.
Ostrich Farming in Nigeria – OSTRICH? How does it sound? Impossible right? Ostrich farming, although not really popular is very very lucrative, serves energy and resources more than cattle rearing. Eat low compared to cattle with their large feeding capacity and weight more kg compared to cattle and live longer if not killed prematurely.
The ostrich or common ostrich (Struthio camelus) is either one or two species of large flightless birds native to Africa, the only living member(s) of the genus Struthio, which is in the ratite family. In 2014, the Somali ostrich (Struthio molybdophanes) was recognized as a distinct species. It can live longer than a cow at a rate of 30 to 40 years.
BENEFITS OF OSTRICH FARMING:
I’m sure you didn’t know this, though ostrich looks scary with its long neck and frightening body, the horrible sound it makes through its stomach yea yea but rearing it could actually be fun with loads of great benefits;
- EGG: Ostrich produce eggs that hatch into young troublesome ostrich that scare little children. The eggs could be sold to potential buyers or allowed to hatch.
- SKIN: The ostrich’s skin is far more versatile than the cattle skin. In the 18th century; ostriches were nearly brought to extinction by hunting because their feathers were very fashionable in women’s clothing. But by the mid-19th century, people started farming ostriches. This allowed farmers to simply pluck the feathers from their domesticated birds without having to kill them.
- FAT: Ostrich fat is very nutritious for the body, it has low cholesterol and low fat, provides rich fats and oil and is a good treatment for the skin.
GUIDES FOR AN EFFECTIVE OSTRICH FARMING
- Determine which ostrich products to sell in order to produce revenue from the farm. Ostrich meat and ostrich hide are two common sources of revenue. The eggs and feathers of ostriches can also be sold and do not require the slaughter of the bird.
- Locate an area of land that can be used for the ostrich farm. Ostriches require between one and three acres of land in order to run and remain healthy. Build a simple shelter to protect the birds from harsh weather, and construct a fence to prevent the ostriches from escaping.
- Provide a sufficient supply of food and water for the ostrich farm. Large birds can drink several gallons of water each day. Ensure that the water is kept fresh. Purchase feed that is specially formulated for ostrich nutrition. Alternately, plant crops and grasses for the ostriches to eat.
- Choose a type of ostrich to raise. Red neck, blue neck and African black ostriches are the three general types of birds. Red neck and blue neck ostriches are often large and aggressive, while African black birds are smaller and easier to manage. The African black ostrich is often recommended for first-time farm operators.
- Purchase ostriches for the farm. Select from unhatched eggs, young chicks or adult ostriches. Unhatched eggs and young chicks are relatively inexpensive but require a significant amount of time and expertise to rear properly. Adult ostriches can begin producing new eggs quickly yet are more expensive to purchase initially.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and Google plus.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
Most Recommended Links
Tags: ostrich farm need to be how many acres, ostrich farming business plan, ostrich farming facts, ostrich farming guidelines, ostrich farming pdf, ostrich farming profitability, ostrich farms in nigeria, ostrich for sale in nigeria