Ads! Gain 200 Level Admission to Study Any Course In Any University Of Your Choice Through IJMB/JUPEB. NO JAMB | LOW FEES. Registration In Progress. Call 07063900993 NOW!

How Does U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage Work?

Filed in Articles by on June 17, 2021

ADS! Download JAMB CBT Software Now for FREE!

U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage: Naturalization is the process by which a non-citizen becomes the citizen of a particular country. In the United States, one such naturalization path is by getting citizenship through getting married to a U.S. citizen. But don’t think it will be as cool as filling out a few forms!

How Does U.S. Citizenship Through Marriage Work?

Being married to a U.S. citizen can put you on the path to citizenship, it is neither a fast process nor guaranteed, and there are many requirements to fulfill along the way.

With a lot of devotion to detail and a little patience, though, you could be holding that USA citizenship certificate proudly in your hands in the least time possible.

What follows are the simple steps to gaining U.S. citizenship through the act of marriage, which generally includes first becoming a permanent resident (green card holder) and then applying for citizenship.

♦ In this article, I will discuss how to become a U.S. citizen through the act of marriage.

— Permanent Residency

Creating permanent residency is the first step to acquiring U.S. citizenship by marriage. The Permanent Resident Card, also known as Form I-551 or a “green card,” offers proof that you are a permanent resident of the United States and is granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

— Applying for Citizenship

When can I apply for U.S. citizenship?

The general answer is that you must be a permanent occupant (green card holder) for at least three years and have been living in marital union with your U.S. citizen-partner during that time.

You need to fill citizenship Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, along with requested documentation and suitable fee in order to apply for citizenship.

There are some additional eligibility requirements under Section 319(a) of the Immigration and National Act (INA), however, includes the following:

  • Be 18 years or older.
  • You must have lived within the state or USCIS district with jurisdiction over your place of dwelling for at least three months prior to the filing of the application.
  • You must reside continuously within the U.S. from the date of your naturalization application till the time of naturalization.
  • You must be physically present in the U.S. for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the filing of your application.
  • You must be able to read, write, and speak English and have the knowledge and an understanding of U.S. history and government.
  • You must be a person of good moral character, attached to the principles of the U.S. Constitution, and also “well disposed to the good order and gladness of the United States during all significant periods under the law.”

How long it will take your application to make it through the naturalization process depends mainly on where you’re located.

The USCIS Local Field Office next to you will contact you for an interview and final review of your application.

You can always check processing times at the USCIS website. If you are permitted, you will take the oath of allegiance in some places even the same day.

— Immigration through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

In order to enter the U.S. officially if you are married to a U.S citizen, your spouse should complete Form I-130, Petition for Foreign Relative, and all required documentation and filing fee in order to acquire the proper visa permission to immigrate to the U.S.

— Green Card through Marriage

After your coming, you should file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent address or Adjust Status, and pay the filing fee to adjust your status to that of a permanent address in the United States.

If you are already in the U.S. legally, you must file both forms at the same time.

The USCIS will call in you and your partner for an interview, and then, if things go well and if you have been married for less than two years at the time occupant status is granted, you will receive permanent occupant status on a conditional basis.

This can be removed by submitting a joint appeal, Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on the address, within the 90-day period before the expiration date of the conditional home.

— Final Considerations on Getting U.S. Citizenship through Marriage

Do not forget that the final authority regarding all immigration and citizenship issues lies with the USCIS, so be sure to consult the USCIS website for more information, especially the USCIS Policy Manual Citizenship and Naturalization Guidance.

Furthermore, if you have any matters that make your immigration and citizenship situation anything less than run-of-the-mill, you should seek out the information of an immigration attorney.

Recommended for you to watch:

I so much believe that this article has been able to reveal to you the profile of the great personality and also the question that was highlighted above.

CSN Team.


Enter your email address:

Delivered by TMLT NIGERIA

Join Over 3,500 000+ Readers Online Now!



COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: