World Bank Youth Summit 2019 Competition | Smarter Cities for a Resilient Future (Free trip to Youth Summit in Washington, DC)
World Bank Youth Summit 2019 Competition | Smarter Cities for a Resilient Future (Free trip to Youth Summit in Washington, DC).
World Bank Youth Summit 2019 – Applications are open for the World Bank Youth Summit 2019 Competition. World Bank Youth Summit is an annual event funded by the World Bank Group (WBG). The application deadline is 1st October, 2019.
The Competition challenges young social entrepreneurs to submit innovative proposals for scalable enterprises that leverage smart technology to build sustainable and inclusive cities that will serve the needs of 1 million people by 2030.
The World Bank Group wants to hear from young changemakers across the globe on how we can leverage the growth of cities for more sustainable and inclusive communities.
About the Competition
By 2030, two-thirds of the world’s population will live in cities, with the majority of growth in developing countries. Cities are unprecedented hubs of opportunity, but also present some of the most complex and pressing challenges of our time. Everyone has a role to play to address these challenges – governments, international organizations, non-profits, local communities, and individuals – but no one is better placed than young people to innovate and overcome the obstacles faced in an era of fast-paced, technology-driven change.
The 2019 Youth Summit Competition challenges young people to harness smart technology to:
- Address the rising impacts of climate change and pollution in urban cities; and/or
- Promote inclusive economic growth.
The competition provides a forum for young people to identify problems in their communities and craft innovative solutions for smarter and more resilient cities. It aims to stimulate entrepreneurial problem solving and create dialogue on innovative ways to unlock obstacles that have traditionally hindered investment in smart cities.
- Open to individuals or teams of up to 4 people aged 18 to 35, from all over the world
- Prior entrepreneurial experience or business background is not required – all youth with the drive to innovate are encouraged to participate, including professionals, students and academics, NGO leaders, government officials and start-up founders.
- Finalists will join the 2019 Youth Summit at the World Bank headquarters in Washington, DC. Travel expenses will be covered including lodging for up to three nights for one representative from each finalist team.
- Finalists will showcase their proposals on the second day of the Summit, pitching their proposal in front of a judging panel, attending delegates, and a live-streamed online audience. One winner will be selected by the judging panel, and another winner will be voted for by the audience.
Proposals will be assessed on the following judging criteria:
- Clarity, scope and relevance of the problem and of the proposed solution;
- Innovation and originality;
- Feasibility of implementation and sustainability over time;
- Potential for impact; and
- Compliance with competition criteria.
How to Apply
Applicants should propose an innovative and action-oriented idea leveraging data technology to address pollution and climate change, or facilitate the inclusion of the urban poor in cities.
The proposed solution (i) can be aimed at business or service (e.g. product, service, program, initiative, etc.), (ii) should solve a specific problem statement or challenge, (iii) explains the proposal’s proof-of-concept and impact to date; and (iv) addresses at least one of the smart and resilient cities sub-themes in the two pillars: (a) Tackle Pollution and climate change and (b) Inclusive Economic Growth.
Process & Deadlines
- Stage 1 – Submit your Proposal (Deadline: October 1, 2019): Participants must submit their proposal by October 1, 2019. Proposals will be evaluated by an expert committee. Shortlisted individuals/teams will be announced by early November and will proceed to the next stage.
- Stage 2 – Refine your Idea & Prepare your Pitch (November 2019):Individuals/teams shortlisted in Stage 1 will receive feedback on their proposals and may be asked to submit further information, refine their proposals and/or submit short pitching videos. The expert committee will select finalists who will proceed to Stage 3.
- Stage 3 – Pitch your Idea at the 2019 Youth Summit (2-3 December 2019): Finalists will join the 2019 Youth Summit at the World Bank headquarters in Washington, DC. Travel expenses will be covered including lodging for up to three nights for one representative from each finalist team. Finalists will showcase their proposals on the second day of the Summit, pitching their proposal in front of a judging panel, attending delegates, and a live-streamed online audience. One winner will be selected by the judging panel, and another winner will be voted for by the audience.
For more information CLICK HERE.
Deadline: October 1, 2019
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
Tags: World Bank Youth Summit