Hamlet Essay Topics and Examples for Students 2020.
Hamlet Essay Topics: The book “The Hamlet” is a literal piece of work. And it is by a very famous poet, Shakespeare. Also, he was an actor and playwright. Furthermore, he is considered one of the best English authors of all time.
Additionally, it is believed that he authored The Hamlet sometime between 1599 and 1602. It is a story that reflects on society and love. Also, it reflects on betrayal and revenge. Again, it reflects on death, false accusations, and humanity.
Writing a good essay demands a good topic. And writing on the “The Hamlet” provides one with a great choice of nice topics. However, good Hamlet Essay topics are difficult to write. But in this article, you will be provided with some great Hamlet essay topics.
Hamlet Essay Topics for Students 2020
Below are some Hamlet essay topics:
General Hamlet Essay Topics
- Conflict is essential to drama. Show that Hamlet presents both an outward and inward conflict.
- How do Hamlet’s seven soliloquies reveal his character?
- Is Hamlet primarily a tragedy of revenge?
- Discuss Hamlet’s relationship with Gertrude.
- How important is the general setting of Denmark to the overall play?
- Of what significance is Ophelia to Hamlet? Was Hamlet truly in love with Ophelia?
- The character Claudius has been compared to Macbeth. How similar are these two characters? In what ways are they similar?
- Compare and contrast the characters of Hamlet and Horatio. How alike or dislike are they and why?
- In Act 5, scene 2, Hamlet remarks, “His madness is poor Hamlet’s enemy”. Explain Hamlet’s motivation behind this comment. And examine how true his remark is.
- Compare and contrast the characters of Hamlet and Fortinbras. Also, is Fortinbras a valuable character in his own right? Or does he serve only to highlight aspects of Hamlet’s personality?
- What is Goethe’s opinion of Hamlet? Do you agree with his famous conclusions?
- Discuss the references to the English stage of Shakespeare’s own time in Act II.
Expository Hamlet Essay Topics
Below are some expository Hamlet essay topics:
- Explore the role of the minor characters in the play. Think about their significance in revealing the main subject and the major figures.
- Shakespeare explores the conflict between appearance and reality in ‘Hamlet’. The essential theme of the play is Hamlet’s unwillingness to put up with reality. Give your evaluation.
- Explore Hamlet’s relationship with Ophelia. Does he love her?
- Do you think Ophelia’s decision to commit suicide was unwise? Did she have another choice? What would you recommend her to do instead?
- Explore Rosencrantz and Guildenstern’s role in “Hamlet”.
- Should we suppose Hamlet is an indecisive person? Why did he refuse to take revenge? Comment on his intentions to commit suicide.
- Explore the use of descriptions and images in the play.
- The main theme of ‘Hamlet’ is the struggle between good and evil. Do you agree with this statement? Analyze opposing characters.
- Explore the use of comedy in the play.
- Suicide as an important theme in the play: Explain.
Analytical Hamlet Essay Topics
- Analyze Polonius as a character.
- What is the nature of Hamlet’s madness? Has Hamlet imitated this illness? Or has he become a victim of his madness? Was he motivated by these actions? Has he managed to control his actions? State your arguments and provide citations that support your point of view.
- Discuss Hamlet’s treatment and attitude toward women. How might this help to clarify some of the thematic issues of the play? In what way does Hamlet talk about sex and sexuality?
- Analyze the film version of “Hamlet” by answering three simple questions posed by Goethe: What was the artist trying to do? How well has the artist done it? Was it worth doing?
- Analyze the definition of justice by analyzing the play “Hamlet.” Can a family influence one’s understanding of justice? Can Hamlet’s revenge be justified?
- How does Hamlet go through both an outer and inner conflict?
- Analyze how Hamlet is actually a better example of the Oedipus Complex than Oedipus himself. What omens, prophecies, and superstitions are used in “Hamlet” and “Oedipus Rex”?
- Analyze Hamlet’s speech from the perspective of nihilism and his decision to move from active to passive.
- Hamlet, Polonius, and Laertius are looking for the truth. How does each character understand the truth? What is their way (method) to arrive at the truth?
- What happens to Hamlet by the end of the play? Does Hamlet’s character change? What age is Hamlet by the end of the play? What role does the setting play in “Hamlet”?
More Analytical Hamlet Essay Topics
- Analyze how Hamlet’s character and the plot of the play develop along with his ideas of sin and salvation.
- Analyze the inner reasons why Hamlet is an indecisive man. Is Hamlet for or against being indecisive? As a support you can analyze the versions of the “Hamlet” movie by Mel Gibson (1990) and Kenneth Branagh (1996).
- Analyze Hamlet’s attitude toward women. You can pick either Ophelia or Gertrude and describe what impact the character has on Hamlet, the conflict, and the outcome of the play. Does the character change over the course of the play?
- Analyze how Hamlet perceives death. Support your analysis with at least three quotes from any sources.
- Analyze how Hamlet relates to King Lear. You can choose the perspective that the main characters of both plays were victims of society and were dangerous.
- Analyze how Hamlet’s mood swings throughout the play. What influences his mood directly and indirectly?
- Analyze the character of Hamlet in the perspective of a hero and a villain.
- What is Prince Hamlet’s perception of the love concept? Why is he so pessimistic about the critical role it plays in the family? Explain with evidence from the pay.
- Is there love between Ophelia and Hamlet? What is Hamlet’s stand on their relationship? Discuss this relationship giving the relevant examples.
- Does Hamlet’s revenge mission have any impact on his relationship with Ophelia?
- List the names of Hamlet’s various foils. What role do they play? What importance do they play?
Hamlet Essay Topics Based on Revenge
- Is Hamlet a play primarily centered on revenge and the consequences that come with it?
- What does Hamlet’s delay to exact revenge reveal about his personality? Is he brilliant, calculating, or just plain cowardly? Give your answer and justify with reasons.
Topics Based on Family Bond
- What are Hamlet’s feelings towards her mother? What does Hamlet consider to betrayal to the bond she shares with him and with his father, the dead king?
- Gertrude and Claudius’s marriage doesn’t sit well with Hamlet. How does it contribute to Hamlet’s conflict and revenge plot?
Topics Based on Hamlet’s Portrayal
- He takes his time to exert his revenge. What does it reveal about his personality?
- Hamlet went mad with his obsession for revenge. How true is this? Explain giving evidence from the play.
- Was Hamlet truly mad? Or was it a ploy to realize his revenge?
- Is there truth in that statement?
- What drives Hamlet to speak those words?
With the above Hamlet essay topics, you can begin a wonderful Hamlet essay.
Join Over 3,500 000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
Tags: Analytical Hamlet Essay Topics, Expository Hamlet Essay Topics, Hamlet Essay Topics and Examples for Students 2020, Hamlet Essay Topics Based on Revenge, Hamlet Essay Topics for Students 2020 | A Comprehensive List