JAMB 2018: How to Answer JAMB Use of English Questions;
How to Answer JAMB Use of English Questions… Did you know that with this guide, you can actually strike high above others in the Use of English screening test? Sure it’s possible. This is one of the most interesting and educative articles on Current School News Portal! You can’t miss it.
Today, I will be showing you, in a simple explanation, the very best method which you can use to answer JAMB 2018 Use of English test.
Just in case you don’t know, JAMB USE of English, is a compulsory subject to all candidates writing JAMB CBT examination.
General Structure of JAMB Use of English Test
The best sure way of answering the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Use of English and get a tangible score is to master the structure of the examination, before the exact time.
You should take note, that Jamb Use of English comprises of four main sections, namely;
- Oral Forms.
The best way to tackle the questions in JAMB Use of English is to note that the different part of this exam as listed above carries different marks, however, we should note, that all the questions are important, but here are some important information.
Passage I to III
From Passage I – III, this passage test candidates’ knowledge of deduction from passages. In these passages, each question carries 3 marks, and this section have 15 questions.
This means that if you correctly answered all the questions, you already have 15 X 3 Marks = 45points.
Passage IV is test for candidates’ knowledge of English Registers. In this section, each question are worth 2 marks per correct questions.
This section carries ONLY 10 questions.
This means that if you correctly answered all the questions, you already have 10 X 2 marks = 20points in this section.
The Lexis section of the JAMB Use of English is one section that test the candidates’ knowledge of reasoning in English language, communication as well as vocabulary, and this section comprises of the following;
- Nearest in meaning,
- Opposite in meaning.
Take note that each question in the Lexis section carries 2 marks per each question. The Structure section of JAMB Use of English, based ONLY on testing the candidates’ knowledge of the following:
- English sentences formation,
- Part of sentences,
- Phrasal verbs,
- and other aspects of English sentence formation.
In this section, take note that each question carries 1 mark per correct questions you answered. The ending part of JAMB Use of English is the oral forms.
Summary of Marks from JAMB Use of English
SECTION A: COMPREHENSIVE/SUMMARY
(a) 3 Comprehension passages (15 questions in all, 3 marks each) = 45 marks
(b) 1 cloze passage (10 questions in all, 2 marks each) = 20 marks
SECTION B: LEXIS, STRUCTURE AND ORAL FORMS
(a) Sentence Interpretation (10 Questions in all, 2 marks each) = 20marks
(b) Antonyms (Opposite in Meaning – 15 questions in all, 1 mark each) = 15 marks
(c) Synonyms (Same in meaning – – 15 questions in all, 1 mark each) = 15 marks
(d) Sentence completion (filling the gaps – 20 questions in all, 1 mark each) = 20 marks
(e) Oral forms (15 questions in all, 1 mark each) = 15 marks
Total: 100 Questions = 150 marks
- Take note that the best method of answering the jamb Use of English and have high score is for you to follow the following steps carefully while in examination hall.
- Please ensure that you read the instructions before you commence and check the duration of the examination.
- Please endeavour, to identify the main points in the passages;
- You should also take note that you know the meaning of each queried word, phrase or sentences.
- Also ensure that you identify the grammatical functions of words, phrases and clauses and figurative /idiomatic expression;
- Deduce or infer the writer’s opinion, mood, attitude to the subject matter.
- While writing the examination, you should pay full attention to details.
Steps To Score High In Jamb Use Of English
Now, you are here. It is time to reveal the secrets to scoring high in Jamb use of English. Below are tricks to score very high:
- Don’t class the subject as difficult.
- Never class English as easy.
- Study as many Idioms as possible.
- Learn new words daily.
- Learn how to answer comprehension passages.
- Understand the tricks behind Jamb interpretation.
- Work with time.
- Practice every year in past Jamb questions.
- Test yourself regularly.
If you find this article helpful, please don’t hesitate sharing.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.