Dental Hygienist Interview Questions 2019 – A dental hygienist‘s job straddles the line between aesthetics and health, and their duties are more extensive and independent than those of a dental assistant. At a minimum, the position requires a solid post-secondary education and the ability to pass national and regional examinations in order to be licensed and/or certified.
Dental hygienists are skilled healthcare workers who typically work in dentists’ offices. They must be trained in techniques, skills, and concepts of dental care and need to gain state licensure. Their job duties center around cleaning patients’ teeth and giving instruction in proper dental hygiene.
Dental hygienists work under the supervision of licensed dentists. They are not qualified to make the same kind of diagnostic decisions or perform the same procedures as dentists.
Instead, they perform basic dental care tasks, mostly focused on keeping patients’ teeth and gums clean. Unlike dental assistants, who work directly with dentists, hygienists often see patients on their own and direct their own tasks.
Responsibilities of a Dental Hygienist
- Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
- Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
- Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating a patient’s oral health.
- Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
- Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; using probes to locate periodontal disease and to assess levels of recession; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
Dental Hygienist Requirements
- Compassion: Those who work in this occupation, as well as others in the healthcare field, need a desire to help people.
- Manual Dexterity: Excellent fine motor skills are needed to grasp instruments and work inside patients’ mouths.
- Interpersonal Skills: When dealing with patients, you must be able to relate to them, recognize when they are uncomfortable or anxious, and reassure them.
- Attention to Detail: Without the ability to pay attention to detail, it will be impossible to perform several aspects of your job including noticing stains and other treatable issues during cleanings and, while examining patients’ teeth, detecting potential health problems requiring the dentist’s attention.
- Physical Stamina: Excellent stamina is essential since dental hygienists spend a lot of time on their feet.
- Use of Dental Technology, Dental Health Maintenance, Infection Control, Health Promotion, and Maintenance, Bedside Manner, Creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Listening, Teamwork, Administering Medication, Thoroughness, Self-Development
50 FAQS Dental Hygienist Interview Questions
Tell me about yourself.
How would you describe your work ethic?
Do you consider yourself independent or a team player?
How would a friend or family member describe you?
What are your biggest strengths and weaknesses?
Describe a difficult situation you encountered in the field and how you handled it.
How comfortable do you feel educating patients about dental home care?
Why do you want to work for the company
How do you assess a patient’s oral health? What would you recommend for certain conditions?
Describe how you handle conflicts with patients, coworkers, or your supervising dentist.
How do you motivate uncooperative patients? How do you comfort anxious or fearful patients?
What experience do you have running and interpreting diagnostic tests? Explain.
Beyond providing dental care, what other duties do you expect to perform?
What is your experience working with children?
What is the most challenging aspect of this role for you?
If you are stressed, what signs occur and what do you do about it?
What do you feel are the most important qualities in being a good hygienist?
What do you like most about being a Dental Hygienist?
How would you handle a situation where the patient was not satisfied?
What experience do you have performing tasks outside of your role as a hygienist?
How have your previous dental visits influenced you as a hygienist?
How do you feel about educating patients on proper oral care?
Tell me about clinical services or health education you have provided which effectively improved the oral health of a patient.
Provide an experience in which you identified periodontal recessed gums or signs of gum disease.
Share an experience in which you successfully exposed and developed x-ray film.
Share an example of when you went above and beyond the “call of duty”
Provide an effective method you have used to maintain dental equipment.
Share an experience in which you detected swelling or tenderness in the lymph nodes under a patient’s chin.
Describe your working relationship with your previous or current colleagues.
What is a major ethical issue facing dentistry today?
Why should we hire you as our next dental hygienist?
Which do you recommend to patients, water flossing vs string flossing?
How do you handle a patient who is scared or uncomfortable?
How many years experience do you have as a dental hygienist?
How do you like to be recognized for your accomplishments?
What type of manager brings out the best in you?
How do you show your co-workers the importance of communication in the workplace?
Would you say you are a better verbal or written communicator?
Provide an experience in which you were sensitive to someone’s needs or feelings. How did your helpfulness affect your work environment?
Tell me about a time when you developed your own way of doing things or were self-motivated to finish an important task.
Please share an experience in which you presented to a group. What was the situation and how did it go?
Provide a time when you dealt calmly and effectively with a high-stress situation.
Share an experience in which you’ve successfully learned how to handle a new piece of equipment?
What is your current salary?
Provide an experience in which you successfully removed excess cement from the coronal surfaces of teeth.
Tell me about an effective dental health clinic you conducted for a community group. What methods made you successful?
Provide an experience that demonstrates your ability to manage time effectively. What were the challenges and results?
Describe a time when you successfully persuaded another person to change his/her way of thinking or behavior.
Share an experience in which you used new training skills, ideas, or a method to adapt to a new situation or improve an ongoing one.
Describe your experience administering local anesthetic agents.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.