Software Manager Interview Questions – Software managers are responsible for overseeing and coordinating the people, resources, and processes required to deliver new software or upgrade existing products.
In smaller companies, software managers may take a hands-on role in software development. However, their primary role is project management, coordinating the work of other software professionals.
Duties of a Software Manager
- Development Strategy
Software managers work hand in hand with business managers or marketing professionals in order to discover what is needed for new software programs. If perhaps they are creating software for internal use, they identify the functional necessity of the departments that will use the programs.
To create software for clients, they discover market requirements and assess the performance of already existing competitive programs. The functional requirements offer the basis for a product development strategy that gives the software team a clear sense of direction.
- Team Management
Managers discover the skills they need for each development project and employ team members. If the team members don’t have the necessary skills, software managers arrange training programs or work with outside contractors or consultants who provide those skills. They foresee the performance of team members against strategic targets and provide mentoring or training, if necessary.
- Team Resources
Managers ensure that teams have access to the resources they need, such as computing systems, development tools, and communications. Resource requirements vary at different stages of software development, so managers monitor progress to ensure that the team does not encounter obstacles.
Software developers can utilize cloud computing to scale-up their computing resources in line with project requirements. They may rent additional computing capacity from a service provider, rather than investing in permanent infrastructure.
To make sure that teams finish projects on time, software managers establish schedules. If they are creating software for an external client, they organize development schedules with the release dates planned by the marketing team.
For new product releases, software managers aim to minimize development time so that they can get the product to market in the shortest possible time.
- Project Management
Software managers monitor progress against intermediate and final development targets. They conduct regular team meetings to review progress and to identify potential obstacles to completion. Managers also monitor quality to ensure that products meet their technical and business objectives.
In addition to regular development team meetings, software managers also schedule meetings with other stakeholders, such as department managers and marketing professionals to update them on the project and obtain feedback.
Software Manager Interview Questions
1. What is Software Engineering?
2. What is the need to learn Software Engineering Concepts?
3. What is SDLC OR Software Development Life Cycle?
4. What are the different types of models available in SDLC?
5. Explain the role of a Software Project Manager?
6. What is a Software Project Scope?
7. What is Software Project Estimation?
8. Explain Functional Points?
9. What is a Baseline?
10. What is Software Configuration Management?
11. What is Change Control?
12.Mention a few project management tools?
13. What is a Software requirement?
14. Explain the Feasibility Study?
15. What are functional and non- functional requirements?
16. What are Software Metrics?
17. What is Modularization?.
18. Explain Concurrency and how is it achieved during the software product delivery?ry.
19. What is Cohesion?
20. What is coupling?
21. Mention a few software analysis & Design tools?
22. What is DFD Level 0?.
23. What is Data Dictionary?
24. What is black box testing and white box testing?
25. What are the various types of software maintenance?
26. Explain CASE tools?
27. What are the important categories of software?
28. What is the main difference between a computer program and computer software?
29. What is software re-engineering?
30. Describe the software development process in brief
31. Are there distinct kinds of activities in a project?
32. What do you think is the difference between projects, programs, and a portfolio?
33. Who is a stakeholder?
34. What are organizational influences?
35. Can you explain the project life cycle?
36. What do you understand by a project charter?.
37. What do you understand by plan baselines?
38. What qualifications are required to be an effective project manager?
39. What are the processes and process groups?
40. What are the knowledge areas relevant to doing a project?
41. What is RAID as it related to project management?
42. What are the important processes for project integration management?
43. What is an SOW?
44. What does Scope management involve?
45. In software development process what is the meaning of debugging?
46. How can you make sure that your code is both safe and fast?
47. Name two tools which are used for keeping track of software requirements?
48. What is the main difference between a stub, a mock?
49. What language do you like to write programming algorithms?
50. What is computer software?
Qualities of an Effective Software Manager?
1. They Asked: What needs to be done?
Sometimes figuring out what needs to be done is the hard part you should consider questions like these:
- How can we save our company money?
- Do we need training for our developers?
- Do we need to hire more developers?
- Are we using the right tools/platform?
- Should we buy this?
- Should we build this?
- What should we develop now?
The job of a good software manager is to set direction. They need to figure out the best allocation of the finite development resources of their company.
2. They Made “The Call”
This is probably one of the biggest success factors of a good manager. Sometimes managers simply need to make the call. On a recent project, I participated in as a contractor we needed to have the department manager “make the call.. Did this happen? No.
The manager never really made the call. And what happened? The project floundered around for a month or so before the decision finally got made.
Not by an active decision but by default. We just started moving in one direction and we are where we are. What this manager communicated to the software development staff is: “If you are looking for someone to make a decision, don’t ask me.”
If you are faced with a decision, please “Make the CALL!” You cannot always be 100% sure of all your decisions but your courage to make the call will gain you the respect of your development team.
3. They Developed Action Plans
This is the job of all good software development managers. Once you’ve determined, “What needs to be done,” and, “The Call,” has been made it’s time to go to work.
This is where the action plan comes from. You need to break the job down into a logical set of steps and the team needs go to work on tasks.
You need to track these tasks to see if they are on course. At another client, I work with two project managers. They do a great job of keeping me and the teams I work with on a task. You will never know a good software project until you work with a good project manager.
4. Make Meetings Productive
This is a big one. No one likes to spend their time in meetings when there are things to get done. So here are a few tips:
- Start on time.
- Make your meetings specific and to the point.
- Stay on task.
- If different media is available (e-mail for example) use it.
One more tip. Something I learned from one of my clients is to never start a meeting at 1:00pm, start it at 1:30pm instead. People always get back late from lunch so a 1:00 start is a waste of time.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.