A staff accountant is usually one of several accountants but often is a senior accountant or one with more experience. Learn more right here about staff accountants, including how to become one and what they can expect for career outlook.
What to Expect in Accounting and Finance Interviews
Most interviews will follow a standard structure which includes:
- Setting the Scene
Questions will be different depending on the employer and the level of job you are applying for, the total amount of accounting experience you have, the needed recruiting policy and the personal needs of the interviewer.
Training and Qualifications
You should expect questions exploring your accountancy training, study plans to become an accountant, qualifications and your knowledge of accounting terminology and practice.
Skills and Experience
The interviewer will ask questions based on your experience as shown on your CV.
This relates to key skills required such as your ability to have good analytical and numerical skills, ability to work to tight deadlines, to demonstrate effective communication and ability to deliver quality and accurate output.
Personality and Motivation
Your reasons for applying or for choosing the accounting and finance sector and this employer, how you see your accountancy career developing and the steps you will take to develop your finance skills.
For more senior Finance positions, you should expect questions exploring your ability to motivate and develop a team of accountants or clerical staff, your ability to build relationships and to generate income streams.
Competencies For Accounting and Finance Jobs
Lots of interviews in the Accounting and Finance division are currently Competency Based and Behavioural. Questions will be made so as to discover how your behavior in a past activity can affect your performance in the job going forward.
These questions can be very confusing to answer, nevertheless, they can be mastered with some training and practice.
These Accounting and Finance interview questions can be very specific or can be very general however your answer will need to demonstrate a broad range of skills. This will be even more important the higher you progress on the career ladder.
While the Job Description and Person Specification will give you the exact skills required, you may find the interview question touching the following area :
- Numerical Ability
- Problem Solving
- Planning and Organising
- General Ledger and Computer Skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work to strict deadlines
For qualified accountants and senior managers competencies can include:
- Strategic and Operational Management
- Building Relationships
- Leadership and ability to manage a team
- Motivating and Developing Others
- Negotiation and Communication at Senior level
- Strategic Thinking
Skills You Need To Succeed In Accounting
Bookkeepers are notable individuals. They deal with a ton of duty, which implies that they, for the most part, remain entirely occupied.
To be a decent bookkeeper you need a framework to monitor those obligations –, for example, any portfolios you deal with, the exchanges you handle, and any significant dates and due dates you have to meet – to guarantee that you satisfy the majority of your obligations as well as could be expected.
You can utilize instruments like timetables, arranged envelopes, day organizers, shading coded post-it notes and highlighters, and applications and projects intended to enable you to remain profoundly composed and in the short-and-long haul.
2. Time management
Good time-management skills follow with strong organizational capabilities.
A system for managing your workload is only efficient if you also know how to make use of your time. As an accountant, you’ll need to manage to compete for needs and other myriad tasks – while completing everything on time.
The ability to work within deadlines and to continually re-prioritize your to-do list will take you far. Not only will it impress your boss, co-workers, and clients, it will also help you to maintain a healthy work/life balance and keep your day-to-day production.
The bookkeeping business is very powerful, so bookkeepers who can adjust rapidly and effectively are at an unmistakable bit of leeway.
Notwithstanding having the option to give better administrations to their customers, versatile people are bound to learn and develop in their professions since they see each new test as a chance to learn and test their aptitudes.
Grasp change – figure out how to take advantage of each curveball that your work tosses your direction.
On a related note, it’s likewise incredible to be proactive. In spite of the fact that it requires a touch of an additional push to be educated about changes as they occur, it certainly satisfies: it will keep you on the bleeding edge of the business, gain you the regard of your companions and guarantee that others look to you when preparing.
Regardless of where you work, what your activity involves or who you work with, solid relational abilities are staggeringly profitable. Having the option to convey well recorded as a hard copy and in person will assist you with getting a vocation, fill in as a group with your associates, collaborate with customers and, with time, advance expertly.
Well-created relational aptitudes will likewise be helpful for systems administration. Regardless of whether you need to go to a corporate capacity or are basically respecting another associate to the workplace, the capacity to advocate for yourself when meeting new individuals so as to build up productive connections will work well for you. Keep in mind the significance of establishing a decent first connection.
Staff Accountant Interview Questions
1. Why did you select accounting as your profession?
2. Do you have any professional experience in this field?
3. Did you use accounting applications at your previous companies or prefer working manually??
4. Can you name any other accounting application?
5. Which accounting application you prefer most and why?
6. What is the abbreviation for the accounting terms debit and credit?
7. How many types of business transactions are there in accounting?
8. What is the balance sheet?
9. Have you ever heard about TDS, what it is?
10. In the balance sheet, where do you show TDS?
11. Do you have any idea about GST?
12. Do you think there is any difference between inactive and dormant accounts?
13. What is tally accounting?
14. How can you define departmental accounting?
15. Define fictitious assets?
16. By saying, perpetual or periodic inventory system; what do we mean?.
17. In accounting, how do you define the premises?
18. In accounting, VAT abbreviates what?
19. Do you possess any knowledge about accounting standards?
20. What is ICAI?
21. How can you explain the basic accounting equation?
22. Define Executive accounting?
23. Define Public accounting?
24. What is a CPA?
25. What do you think is a bank reconciliation statement?
26. Differentiate Public and Private Accounting?
27. What is project implementation?
28. Do you think Accounting Standards are mandatory and why?
29. Can you name different branches of accounting?
30. Differentiate Accounting and Auditing?.
31. Define dual aspect term in accounting?
32. What do we mean by purchase return in accounting?
33. Define the term material facts in accounting?
34. Have you ever made MIS reports and what are they?
35. Define a company’s payable cycle?
36. Define retail banking?
37. How much mathematics knowledge is necessary or required in accounting?
38) Define bills receivable?
All types of exchange bills, bonds and other securities owned by a merchant that is payable to him are said as bills receivable.
39. Define depreciation and its types?
40. Differentiate between consignor and consignee?
41. Define balancing in accounting?
42. How much statistics knowledge is necessary or required in accounting?
43. Define Scrap value in accounting?
44. What is Marginal Cost?
45. Define Partitioning in accounting?
46. Differentiate between provision and reserve?
47. Define Offset accounting?
48. Define overhead in terms of accounting?
49. Define trade bills?
50. Define fair value accounting?
Some interviewers may try to stress you out during the interview process, but try to go into the discussion calmly and with a clear head. Remember to prepare well, be up to date on financial news, and know the cornerstones of finance. Show off your analytical skills — a rapid-fire response probably will not cut it. Take time to think about your answers, and give the interviewer a chance to observe how you think.
Highlighting your analytical skills and ability to think things through can help set you apart in the interview, which will improve your chances of getting the job.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.