Apply Now for Labor Market Survey Consultants at Plan International in Adamawa and Borno;
Plan International is an independent child-centred international development organization committed to advancing the rights of children and fight against poverty. Plan has no religious, political and government affiliation.
For over 78 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives. Plan International currently works in 70 countries including Nigeria.
We are currently recruiting for organizational and upcoming project position below:
Job Title: Labor Market Survey Consultant
Locations: Adamawa and Maiduguri
Contract duration: Indicatively 20 days – from 1st October to 21st October 2016
Starting Date: 1st September, 2016
Reports to: (position) Humanitarian Project Manager
In 2009, the Islamist militant group, Boko Haram became active in the Lake Chad Basin. Boko Haram attacks in Cameroon’s Far North Region, Niger’s Diffa Region, and in Western Chad have killed over 20,000 people. The insurgency scaled up in 2010 when the group started suicide attacks as well as attacks on so-called soft targets in the North-East Region of Nigeria. Since then, more than 230,000 Nigerians have fled to neighboring countries and 2.2 million were internally displaced – around 1.2 million children in Nigeria were forced to leave their homes1, 50% of these children under the age of 5.
The far-reaching nature of violence and unrest caused by Boko Haram has led Plan Cameroon and Niger to launch a response in highly vulnerable regions of the country. However, the absence of programming in Nigeria – the center of the crisis – has not allowed Plan to respond in a regional capacity. The sub-regional Lake Chad project aims to bridge this gap and help Nigeria’s most at-risk population – children and youth (in particular girls and young women) affected by the armed conflict in the Lake Chad region to realize their rights in safety and with dignity during and after the crisis. To reach this objective, Plan will respond in three programming areas: 1) Education in Emergencies, 2) Child Protection in Emergencies, and 3) Youth Economic Empowerment.
How does this post support Plan’s strategy and mission?
- Plan International Nigeria is seeking an experienced Labor Market Survey Consultant for the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO) and Plan International Germany – and Irish Aid and Plan International Ireland – projects responding to the Boko Haram crisis in Northeast Nigeria.
- The Consultant will responsible for designing the education and livelihood recovery and reintegration of girls and young women affected by armed conflict through the provision of educational and livelihood skills acquisition opportunities.
The Labor Market Survey Consultant is expected to provide essential information to inform the design of the Education and Livelihoods program via the following Objectives in Adamawa (Michika, Madagali) and Borno (Askira/Uba, Maiduguri surrounds).
Objective 1: Design and conduct a local labour market survey in implementation areas
- The analysis should include: trading centres, household economies, business advisory services, vocations with potential for growth (e.g. trades associated with construction perhaps, administration skills associated with growth in private sector and NGO sector), financial capital required for business start-up, sources of capital, and social capital required for different vocations, constraints and parameters imposed by the conflict, existing capacities of children and families, and opportunities and threats identified by children and families. It should include the following information:
- Characteristics of the surveyed population
- Analysis of supply and demand in targeted local markets including the demand for goods and services for domestic needs vs. the offer of goods and services
- Capacity of business companies and local structures to support youth
- Achievements and gaps in the economic capacities of vulnerable youth and their families
- Successes and weaknesses within current economic support initiatives and potential obstacles to promote lucrative economic sectors
- Business, financial and economic analysis of innovative and/or lucrative economic sectors
Objective 2: Provide recommendations on types of life skills and trainings necessary to prepare adolescents and young women for sustainable livelihoods. Examples include:
- Basic literacy and numeracy levels required for different vocations (ex: ex: completing administrative and medical forms, managing household income/expenditure)
- Life skills development (ex: sexual and reproductive health, resiliency and prevention of re-recruitment, social integration, etc.)
- Vocational training (ex: sewing, farming, street vendor, brick-making, barber/hair dressing, etc.)
- Any additional components (ex: psychosocial support, etc.)
Objective 3: Conduct service mapping of current alternative education and vocational programs available in communities of operation – inclusive of their quality. Examples include:
- Vocational providers/trainers/cooperatives
- National curriculum for alternative education and/or accredited accelerated learning programs
- Design Labor Market Survey and Mapping Tools
- Survey and Mapping results and analysis
- Final Report (recommendations and indicators of success including suggestions for benchmarks in an evaluation)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and Financial Proposal to: [email protected] with the position title in the subject line.
Click here for more information (pdf)
Deadline: Monday, 26th September, 2016.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.