BBC World Services Recruitment 2020/2021 and How to Apply for BBC Jobs Online.
BBC World Services has been undergoing massive recruitment intake annually for the past years. We’ve received numerous requests by aspirants on various platforms yearning for legit information about the BBC World Services Application form and guidelines for 2019/2020.
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching a new Sports weekly TV programme and innovative digital sport content alongside existing African Sport output.
Job Title: Editor, Pidgin Service
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/45315
Contract Type: Permanent -Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Department: Pidgin Language Service
Reports to: Head of West Africa
- Africa’s media landscape is changing. It is one of the fastest developing news markets in the world with mobile technology transforming lives, internet connectivity increasing, the radio market remaining relatively strong and Television migrating from analogue to digital.
- The BBC World Service remains the leading international broadcaster in Africa, reaching a weekly audience of more than 100 million across all platforms and Social Media. Globally, the BBC reaches a weekly audience of 320 million weekly across various platforms.
- The BBC World Service has expanded its multimedia operations in Africa by doubling the number of language services from 6 to 12.
- Three of the new language services, Pidgin, Yoruba and Igbo, serve our audiences in Nigeria and West Africa. They are based in Lagos, working alongside our operation in Abuja from where the BBC currently produces its Hausa service output. There is a strong emphasis on reaching and connecting with young audiences. The BBC is looking for an excellent senior journalist to be the Editor of the Pidgin Language Service to deliver a dynamic range of digital, audio and video content.
- You will report to the Head of West Africa and also work closely with other senior editorial figures in BBC World Service. As the Editor, you will provide creative leadership and vision, to maximise the Pidgin language Service’s impact and potential in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa, taking into account the changing media conditions in the target area. You will approve content, ensuring that BBC editorial guidelines are adhered to consistently. You will manage teams and resources, taking responsibility for ensuring that all output is delivered creatively and on schedule.
- The successful candidate will have substantial experience in a senior journalistic role within a media environment. Fluent in Pidgin and English (written and spoken), you will have experience of delivering output on media platforms. An excellent knowledge of local, regional and international news and current affairs is essential.
- You will have recent experience of living in the target area, including a good understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
- A good appreciation of the media situation in Nigeria and the wider target area, and how it is developing with the ability to anticipate changes in the market is essential. Experience of managing budgets is required. You must have work authorisation for Nigeria.
Required Skills & Experience
- Fluency and up to date knowledge of written and spoken Pidgin and English
- Either a professional journalist or a senior operational professional with extensive editorial experience of digital news and the ability to develop and implement new and innovative approaches to news structure and content
- A good understanding of the media landscape in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa that extensively use Pidgin language
- Proven editorial judgement and flair, able to make sound decisions quickly
- A detailed understanding of the latest techniques and technology for newsgathering and production. An ability to use new technologies to create opportunities to enhance output and improve working practices
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary
- Can identify a vision along with the plans which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues etc. in the short, medium and longer-term
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC
- Able to prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing, budgets and resource requirements
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output Maintains personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy
- A thorough knowledge of the BBC’s Guidelines (including Health & Safety) and the editorial considerations and values relating to BBC
- Track record of leading a team of more than 20 people
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
We cherish your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about BBC World Services Recruitment 2020, kindly provide us your phone number and email address in the comment box below.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.