CHAT Right HERE with Our Representative - Immediate Response
Center for Civilians in Conflict Job Vacancy for a Community Engagement Coordinator – Apply Now. Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance.
We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
JOB TITLE: Community Engagement Coordinator: Nigeria & the Lake Chad Basin
JOB PURPOSE: Lead CIVIC’s community engagement efforts in Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region
LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
TRAVEL: Up to 40% required (domestic, regional, and to the US as necessary)
REPORTING TO: Regional Program Manager (in Abuja) and Program Officer for Nigeria (in Washington, D.C.)
STAFF REPORTING: Partial supervision of part-time researchers, trainers, and interns.
KEY FUNCTIONS: The Community Engagement Coordinator will lead CIVIC’s efforts to mobilize communities across Northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region to strengthen community self-protection mechanisms, to create platforms for improved civilian-military relations, to conduct field research on civilian security issues, and to lead a regional Protection Network and related advocacy campaigns aimed at increasing the understanding and commitment to civilian protection and harm mitigation by all groups, including local government officials, security forces, self-defense groups, and Boko Haram.
- Work with SPM, Regional Program Manager, and Nigeria Program Officer to design, manage, and implement community programs in support of CIVIC’s Nigeria program;
- Build strong working relationships with civil society actors across the Lake Chad Basin region (including in Chad, Niger, and Cameroon) in order to create a regional Protection Network for increased community coordination and local capacity building;
- Support research and drafting of publications (reports, briefing papers, etc) and advocacy materials discussing CIVIC’s Nigeria work;
- Represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Travel regularly (with CIVIC staff and alone) across northeastern Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region (Chad, Cameroon, and Niger) to mobilize support for CIVIC’s work;
- Build strong relations with local officials, community-based and civil society organizations and like-minded INGOs;
- Conduct assessments and convene local roundtable discussions to inform policy, practice, and training recommendations for diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection;
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, and implement projects in unstable environments;
- Effective in participatory facilitation, community organizing, advocacy, and leadership development;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere;
- Willingness and experience working with security forces and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces; and
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills.
- Deep knowledge of Nigeria & the Lake Chad Basin region including related to humanitarian and security issues;
- In depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Ability to network extensively and build partnerships with community leaders and civil society organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, African studies, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- English language fluency mandatory. Advanced proficiency in Hausa or Fulani required. Advanced proficiency in French strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required, including work in active and recently active conflict zones and experience in community engagement, training, field research, advocacy, and project management.
- Either from the Lake Chad Basin region or extensive experience in northeastern Nigeria;
- Demonstrated strong work ethic;
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please send a resume, an unedited writing sample (maximum 5 pages), and a cover letter describing your motivations for applying to [email protected].
Please write ATTN: Community Engagement Coordinator in the subject line.
DEADLINE: Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. The deadline for applying is April 15, 2016. Please apply early.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.♦ Total Cure for Diabetes => CLICK HERE. Only 15 Product Remaining - Hurry Now!
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.