Systems Engineer Job Description – If you want to consider a career as a Systems Engineer, there are certain things you need to know about the job. Here in this article, I have discussed the job description, duties and responsibilities, skills and qualifications, and the salary information of Systems Engineer.
Job Description of a Systems Engineer
Systems engineers are critical to the development, maintenance, and security of a company’s technology infrastructure. Systems Engineers are responsible for installing, testing, configuring and optimizing computer large and complex projects known as systems.
There are many kinds of systems, and although all are large, they vary in their complexity. A system has many parts that all interact extensively with one another. Often small systems can be part of larger systems.
For example, a jet airliner can be a system. So, too, can all of the airplanes owned by one airline. All of the airplanes in a country make up a more extensive system. An even larger and more complex system includes all of a nation’s transportation facilities. Systems engineers can work at various levels in the design and coordination of these systems.
Some other examples of systems are water and food distribution networks, experimental manned space flights, and military defense programs. Systems engineers also work on telephone systems, electric power systems, and sewage systems. Systems engineers handle all these.
These team players design and manage solutions, and they communicate essential information to the right people. They strive to provide positive user experience, all the time aware of the demands and risks of company operations and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of Systems Engineers can vary depending on the functions of the company. The system requirements of a government agency are very different from those of a manufacturer. Here are the common duties of a Systems Engineer:
- Checking existing systems and suggest improvements
- Developing new systems to increase company efficiency
- Applying tech solutions to strengthen systems
- Receiving and relaying information to and from stakeholders
- Advising on suitable hardware and software to meet company needs
- Acquiring, installing, testing, and maintaining project components and operating systems
- Reviewing security requirements of company data
- Customizing systems from external vendors
- Reviewing control documents
- Performing standard operating procedures
- Managing and monitoring LAN/WAN network services
- Recommending equipment replacements and upgrades and handling purchases
- Maintaining an inventory of network devices
- Performing routine systems and software audits
- Troubleshooting problems
- Addressing system concerns and hardware failures
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field required (Master’s preferred)
- 6+ years’ experience in system engineering and IT support required
- Proven track record of success in the installation and maintenance of LINUX-based software
- Experience creating automated scripts and software preferred
- Willingness to sign a confidentiality agreement and protect trade secrets
- Exceptional networking skills and knowledge
Systems Engineers’ salaries can depend on the sector in which they’re employed. The salary range is presented below in a tabular form in different currencies:
|Dollar ($)||Naira (₦)||Pound (£)||Euro (€)|
|$59,741 – $137,657||₦18,307,629 -₦42,184,987||£46,878 – £108,001||€52,697- €121,434|
Join Over 3,500 000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.