=>> CHAT Right HERE with Our Representative - Immediate Response
UNOCHA Nigeria Recruitment 2018 and How to Apply Online.
UNOCHA Nigeria Recruitment 2018
UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Affairs Officer (HAO)
Job ID: 13636
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Time Left: 13d 21h 4m
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Given the current crisis in Nigeria, OCHA has to scale up its support to the Humanitarian Coordinator in mobilization and coordination of an effective and principled humanitarian response. OCHA is particularly concerned about vulnerable communities and those at risk due to current conflict. Under the leadership of the Humanitarian Coordinator for Nigeria, OCHA maintains an office in Abuja and a field presence in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in North East; the primary objectives of OCHA Nigeria include the following:
- Advocate for access to basic services, especially water, sanitation, education and health for vulnerable communities, including collection, analysis and dissemination of information and negotiation of access.
- Coordinate the implementation of humanitarian response in Nigeria with UN agencies and programmes, national and international NGOs and local authorities/communities as appropriate with focus on strengthening the Cluster Approach.
- Enhance a protective environment that respects the human rights of all, including IDPs, returnees and minority clan.
The HAO is expected to have comprehensive knowledge of North East of Nigeria, UNOCHA operations, humanitarian partners, operations of the government and NGOs. As such the HAO provides the elements of institutional memory and local networking essential to the credibility and authority of the statements and documents provided by OCHA and the Deputy Humanitarian Coordinator. They work with little supervision in the field, and are expected to prepare concise reports and analysis and are an integral part of the OCHA Team in Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Information Collection in support of Humanitarian Analysis and Response,
- Information Sharing
- Development of coordination and cooperation mechanisms among stakeholders
- Monitoring and Reporting
Ensure accurate Information Collection in support of Humanitarian Analysis and Response, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Review incoming field reports, prepare summaries of field activities and flag important issues to senior management
- Gather and verify information on issues affecting the humanitarian situation, emphasizing opportunities for response.
- Actively participate in the Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) and Humanitarian Needs Overview process, and HRP/HNO Mid-Year Review and End-year Review processes.
- Supports field analysis and interface with the AIM working group to extract key action points that need follow up from assessments undertaken and the humanitarian Dashboard.
Ensure facilitation of information sharing among partners focusing on achievement of the following:
- Pro-actively share information with OCHA and relevant stakeholders on pertinent issues.
- Identify key pieces of information that will assist with organizational decision-making with a particular focus on improving humanitarian response.
Ensure the development of coordination and cooperation mechanisms among stakeholders focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support existing coordination mechanisms and assist in the establishment of new field coordination wherever required.
- Establish relationships with key stakeholders, including non-traditional humanitarian actors, in areas of operation to ensure humanitarian information flow from OCHA to partners and vice versa and ensure their participation in operations
Ensure proper monitoring and reporting focusing on achievement of the following:
- Field visits to the Local Government Areas (LGAs) and support the collection of field information to monitor and improve ongoing response, coordination activities and information products.
- Prepare succinct reports on the key humanitarian issues in the districts and workings with state level partners provide analysis on response gaps and advocacy issues
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the overall coordination of humanitarian and emergency assistance.
- The root causes of the humanitarian/emergency situations are appreciated, ensuring that strong and effective responses are mounted.
- This facilitates operational agencies in succeeding in their core objectives, building of strong partnerships with relevant parties and the achievement of OCHA’s objectives.
Preparing information for advocacy:
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating OCHA’s priorities
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategy
- Collects, researches and analyzes information on resource mobilization and utilization, drafts reports and documents and maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors and donor funded projects
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing are the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for OCHA’s Goals:
- Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for OCHA’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts in the media and civil society, to promote a better understanding of OCHA’s priorities and to support advocacy efforts
- Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Political Science, Sociology, Law, International Relations or other related fields with up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level.
- Up to 2 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in complex emergency and inter-agency contexts particularly the North East of Nigeria, dealing with relief and transitional issues.
- Familiarity with UN policies, rules and procedures, particularly in relation to humanitarian response and coordination, and knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian assistance, especially the humanitarian reform agenda.
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate and synthesize information.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely, ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Professional fluency in oral and written English, Hausa and Kanori is required. Candidates will be tested on their linguistic ability.
How to Apply for Recruitment Online
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Apply
Application Deadline: 1st January, 2018.
We cherish your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about UNOCHA Nigeria Recruitment 2018, kindly provide us your phone number and email Address in the comment box below.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.