Worth of Awards
- Clarendon Scholarships cover tuition and college fees in full and a generous grant for living expenses.
- The grant for living expenses for scholars on a full-time course is normally sufficient to cover the living expenses of a single student living in Oxford.
- Scholars on a part-time course receive a pro-rata amount of the full-time grant for living expenses. Part-time Master’s scholars are offered 1/3 of the full-time grant per year for two years. Part-time DPhil scholars are offered 1/6 of the full-time grant per year for six years.
- Under the new Combined Award Policy for Clarendon Scholarship holders that came into effect from the 2011-12 academic year Clarendon scholars may be in receipt of a funding package covering tuition fees, college fees and living expenses from multiple sources, and the value of the funding package from these sources may equal up to the total of a standard Clarendon Scholarship plus an additional £2,500 p/a for living expenses
- Clarendon scholars may hold small external awards that cover non-fee costs (e.g. to support conference attendance, fieldwork costs and travel) up to the equivalent GBP value of £2,500 p/a without any adjustment to your Clarendon funding package.
Duration of Awards
- Clarendon Scholarships are offered for the full period that you are liable to pay tuition fees to the University, which is usually the same as the length of your course
- Scholarships are subject to an annual renewal process based on satisfactory academic progress.
Level of Study
- All degree-bearing courses at graduate level are eligible.
- This encompasses all full-time and part-time Master’s courses (MSt, MSc, BCL/MJur, MBA, MFE, MPhil, BPhil, MSc by Research, MTh) and all DPhil (same as PhD) programmes.
- Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma courses are not eligible for this scholarship.
- All graduate applicants from any country are eligible for this prestigious scholarship which has, up until recently, only been open to international students. There is no preference for any course of study.
- Candidates applying to start a new graduate course at Oxford are eligible. This includes students who are currently studying for a Master’s degree at Oxford but who will be re-applying for a DPhil (you would be eligible for funding for the DPhil)
- Candidates who already have a place but who deferred entry from a previous year are not eligible to apply (as you can apply for Clarendon in the year that you applied for your place and then, if you are successful, you can apply to defer your funding if you need to defer your place).
- Students who will continue to study for the same degree at Oxford in the next year are not eligible for this scholarship.
Selection criteria vary slightly depending on the subject area and whether applicants apply for a taught or research degree, but include:
- An excellent academic record is essential: A first class honours degree or its equivalent (a GPA score of at least 3.7 if the mark is out of 4) or an outstanding academic record at Master’s level is necessary. Other indicators of high academic achievement may include individual marks on student transcripts; evidence of previous university prizes or awards; information on your overall position within your cohort; and publications (if applicable).
- Aptitude for the proposed course of study: This may be assessed by reviewing academic references, the research proposal, demonstrated evidence of aptitude for research, and the likelihood the scholar will contribute significantly to their field of study.
- Student motivation: This is assessed through evidence of the applicant’s commitment to their proposed course, evaluated by the personal statement and referees’ reports.
How to Apply
By applying for graduate study at Oxford University you will automatically be considered for a Clarendon Scholarship. You do not need to submit any additional documents specifically for the Clarendon Scholarships and there is no separate scholarship application form.
The application deadline for Clarendon scholarship is January 25, 2020 depending on the university admission deadline for the course you are applying to.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.