Humphrey Fellowship Program 2020/2021 Application Portal Updates.
Humphrey Fellowship Program 2020: We are pleased to announce the competition for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship program. The Hubert. H. Humphrey Fellowship Program is a Fulbright Program that brings accomplished young and mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership potential to the United States for a year of non-degree graduate level study, leadership development, and substantive professional collaboration with U.S. counterparts.
By providing future leaders and policy makers with experience in U.S. society, culture, and professional fields, the program provides a basis for lasting, productive ties between Americans and their professional counterparts overseas. Fellows are nominated based on potential for leadership and commitment to public service.
Primary funding for the Humphrey program is provided by the Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs from its Congressional appropriation for exchanges.
The Humphrey program is classified as a non-degree program by the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Humphrey Fellows cannot transfer from non-degree status to degree status under any circumstances. Humphrey Fellows pursue tailored study program at participating host institutions, where the freedom from the requirements of a degree program gives each Fellow the flexibility to pursue a self-directed, individualized program.
There is no provision for Fellows to request placement at any particular university. Approximately 14 campuses have been selected through a competitive process to host Fellows in groups with thematic and subject affinities. Each institution is chosen based on institutional resources and the level of support and guidance it offers to the participants. Each campus has a designated faculty coordinator for academic and administrative support. In addition, faculty advisors also assist Fellows in pursuing balanced academic and professional programs.
Fellows’ professional enrichment activities include professional visits, conferences, training programs and a professional affiliation (work attachment). The professional affiliation provides first-hand exposure to an American work environment on a full-time-hand exposure to an American work environment on a full-time basis for a minimum period of 6 weeks. Early in the academic year, each Fellow develops, with assistance from the local campus coordinator and faculty advisors, a detailed plan for practical professional activities carefully geared to the Fellow’s Humphrey program objectives.
Fellowships are Granted Competitively in the Following Fields:
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Economic Development/Finance and Banking
- Natural resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
Democratic Institution Building:
- Law and human rights
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Trafficking in Persons, Policy and Prevention
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
- Educational Administration, Planning and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching of English as a foreign language
- Public Health Policy and Management
- HIV/AIDS Policy and Prevention
- Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment
Note: ECA cooperates with the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which provides co-funding, to work with Humphrey Fellows in the field of substance abuse. Candidates must have either a research background in the field or demonstrated ability to learn the results and policy implications of current research.
The university programs do not address themselves to the scientific of technical aspects of these fields, but rather to the broad policy-making and problem-solving issues. Emphasis is placed on practical knowledge that will be directly useful to fellows upon return to their countries.
Applicant must be Malaysian citizens. Humphrey Program is designed to strengthen the leadership skills of men and women who will make contributions to their communities as well as their professional fields. Humphrey Fellowship nominees should be individuals working in either the public or private sector with demonstrated leadership ability and a commitment to public service and have assurances of reemployment upon their return home. Applicants should be at a level in their careers at which they will receive maximum benefit from a year’s study in the United States, limited or no prior experience in the United States and have strong English skills.
Prospective fellows should have a minimum of five years of professional experience prior to August 2018 and should be interested in policies pertaining to their fields of specialization.
- Candidates should be in good health.
- Must have completed a university degree program requiring at least four years of full-time study in order to qualify for admission to U.S. programs of graduate study.
- Candidates must be willing to share their knowledge of Malaysia with social, civic and other groups while in the United States.
- Candidates should be proficient in both written and spoken English and should have a minimum Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 71 iBT.
- Candidates should have both the need to participate in the program and the potential to benefit from it. Should demonstrate the required experience, skills, and commitment while also indicating how they can benefit from this program in ways that they have not experienced previously and are not likely to experience without the Humphrey Program.
- Candidates should realize that they have a commitment to return home after their Fellowship for at least two years to use the skills and knowledge they have acquired to assist the community and the country.
- Be physically present in Malaysia at the time of the interview
Technically Ineligible Candidates:
- Recent university graduates (even with significant positions)
- University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse, Education, Prevention, and Treatment and teaching of English as a Foreign Language)
- Individual who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic or more during the seven years prior to August 2019
- Individuals with U.S. in-country experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August 2019
Provisions of the Award
The Humphrey Fellowship provides for international travel, tuition and fees, books and monthly maintenance stipend for one academic year. Limited funds are available for professional development enrichment activities such as attendance at conferences and field trips, and subsidy for computer purchase.
Most grants are for full funding. Cost sharing by a candidate’s employer/home institution is encouraged, as this will enable MACEE to offer program funding to additional deserving applicants. The Humphrey Fellowship stipend is not sufficient to support anyone in addition to the grantee. Awards does not include an additional allowance for dependents.
The Program extends from August of each year to June of the following year. Applicants who need additional English training may be required to arrive in the United States as early as late May for intensive language study before beginning their regular university program. Candidates must be able to participate in the full period of the English and/or university programs.
Interested persons can get more information from the IIE Humphrey Program website at: http://www.humphreyfellowship.org or send an e-mail to [email protected] in Abuja or [email protected] in Lagos. All applications must be submitted on-line at https://iie.embark.com/apply/humphreyfellowship2019
(Please note that this link opens only on April 1) Dateline for submission of applications is June 1 every year.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
Tags: Apply for Fellowship Program, Hubert H Humphrey Fellowship Program Universities, Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program 2020, Humphrey Fellowship 2020, Humphrey Fellowship 2020 Deadline, Humphrey Fellowship Eligibility, Humphrey Fellowship Selection Result