How to wash Rothys. Rothys are environmentally friendly shoes made from repurposed water bottles. They’re stylish, functional, and come in a variety of patterns and colors. If you’ve been wearing your Rothys for a while and they’re becoming dusty, it’s time to wash them.
Putting Your Rothys in the Washing Machine
It may appear strange, but you can wash these shoes in the washing machine to make them look brand new! Here’s how.
1. Remove Your Insoles From the Rothys
To make sure your insoles get completely clean, it’s best to take out the insoles and wash them separately. Luckily, the insoles in Rothys are designed to be easily removable.
Simply grab the insole near the heel and pull outward, and it should slip right out.
‣ Beneath the insoles, you’ll see printed tips for machine washing your shoes in case you forget any of the steps.
2. Put Your Insoles and Base Flats in the Washing Machine
It is best to wash your shoes separately or with a small load of clothes. This is because Rothys must be washed in cold water, and laundry detergent does not clean as well at lower temperatures.
If your washing machine is overcrowded, your shoes and clothes may not be as clean as you would like.
‣ A towel or two T-shirts added to the load may help cushion the shoes during the spin cycle, but don’t add much more than that.
3. Use a Mild Detergent
‣ Look for detergents designed for delicate clothing, baby clothes, or people with skin sensitivities.
‣ You could also choose a detergent made from all-natural materials.
4. Run the Washer on a Cold, Delicate Cycle
A delicate wash uses a slow spin cycle and less agitation to extract water from the laundry, so your shoes won’t get tossed around as much inside the washing machine. In addition, the cold water will help protect the plastic fibers making up your shoes.
‣ Do not use warm or hot water to wash your Rothys. They will shrink and lose their shape if they are exposed to heat.
‣ Your Rothys may be damaged if you wash them on a regular or heavy-duty cycle.
‣ The delicate, or gentle, cycle strips away dirt and odor, but it may not have the same deep cleaning power as a normal wash. If your shoes are still dirty after the first cycle, wash your shoes again, using the same settings.
5. Schedule Your Wash to Account for the Drying Time
If you’re planning to wear your Rothys within the next few hours, it’s best to wait to wash them until you have time to let them dry. It usually takes about 8 hours for a pair of Rothys to air dry, although if you live in an area with very low humidity, they may dry sooner.
‣ During the week, it’s best to schedule overnight drying, so they’re ready in the morning.
‣ If you plan to wash them for evening wear, throw them in the washer in the morning and let them sit out during the day, so they’ll be ready when you put them on again.
If you’re a fan as much as we are, you’ll know that while the shoes are fantastic, they do pick up dirt a little faster than your average shoe. Fortunately, they are machine washable and will look as good as new after a good soak.
Please leave your comments and questions in the comment box below. Remember to share this information across your social media platforms by clicking the share button.