Start a Poultry Farming with Less Income: Have you ever thought about how you can start a poultry farming business? You likely have. When most people think of going into agriculture business, one of the first business ideas which come to their minds is poultry farming and there are good reasons for this.
Poultry farming over the centuries has always been a very profitable agricultural venture to engage it. The rewards, if the business is properly managed, are certainly high.
Some of the most successful private citizens who have dabbled into agriculture and are successful have at some point incorporated poultry farming into their agricultural business or focused solely on it. Before we go into how you start poultry farming even with less income, let’s first address what poultry farming really is.
What is poultry farming?
Poultry farming is raising and/or breeding of domesticated birds like chickens, turkeys, ducks, and geese, for the aim of producing meat or eggs for food. Basically a poultry farm is a dedicated place set aside for raising poultry birds for food or for sale but usually for sale.
One of the first things to ask is what is the type of poultry birds available and which is more profitable. They are all profitable depending on many factors like the demand, the favourable weather conditions, the cost of operation and so much more. We would discuss how you would go about this later in the article.
When deciding on poultry farming, you could either choose particular poultry bird to rear or rear them all if you want. Do take note that if you are rearing more than one poultry bird, they sometimes require different specifications. For example, the specifications or modifications to the feeding pattern or feed and housing requirements for chickens and turkeys are different; same with ducks and geese.
Branches of Poultry Farming.
Now that you know what poultry farming is, let’s go further by finding out the branches of poultry farming you can choose from.
Broilers Breeding: This type of poultry farming is strictly for meat production. You`ll grow your broilers and sell them in whole to the customers. Broilers grow at an astonishing rate. Within a space of 6 and 7 weeks, most broilers have matured to adulthood and prepared to be marketed and consumed.
Layers Breeding: In layers breeding you’re breeding your layer chickens with the most basic aim of them laying unfertilized eggs regularly. The thing is, the egg production rate of these layers would decrease over the months and in about 2 years or so the egg-laying capability of the layer chickens would reduce and would have to be sold off as meat. Before then you surely would have recouped the money invested in housing, feeding and treating the layer heads so don’t worry about losing out.
Poultry Feed Production: This branch focuses sole on making healthy poultry food and marketing them to poultry farmers or middlemen in measured amounts.
The Hatchers: Here you’ve got folks that hatch chicken and alternative birds. This facet of poultry farming business is incredibly vital (though not common) as a result of the health of a bird is set by the effectiveness of the property method.
Poultry Equipment Production: Here you would have to create all the poultry farming equipments which are require which range from feed trough, cages, lighting and so much more.
Giving Poultry Consulting Services: This is pretty self-explanatory.
How to Start a Poultry Farming – Complete Guide.
Now that you know everything involved with poultry farming, how then do you start poultry farming even with less income. Below are proven steps to follow.
1. CARRY OUT MARKER SURVEYS: This is to ensure that the market for your poultry farm products are available and the asking price and cost of running the farm.
2. ACQUIRE LAND IN A SUITABLE LOCATION: Try to get a land which is either for rent or yours which is at least 5 plots for a start. You might be thinking, “But I would be starting on a small scale because of my less income so why do I need to get 5 plots of land for a start?” You should know poultry birds need to be properly spaced to allow free movement, avoid pecking which is very injurious and to reduce diseases.
Once you’ve got a land that’s sufficiently big for your poultry farm, most of the work has been done but don’t relent on your effort! If your poultry farm would be situated in urban areas and in large cities especially, get a land that large or any land even is every difficult so if you have that covered, your poultry farming business is more than certain to take off, the risk of it polluting the environment and wastes going into water ways or water sources.
You should have in mind that you would be able to start a poultry farm in a residential area due to the many health risks involved like the foul odour, the risk of disease outbreaks
3. GET FUNDING FOR YOUR POULTRY BUSINESS: You would have to fund the costs of running the business before you make profits so you need to have capital. There are many loan schemes by the Bank of Agriculture which is slated for farmers.
Try to apply for these schemes but bear in mind that registered businesses are first considered so many you might want to get your business registered with the relevant bodies if you expect this source to fund your poultry farming business.
4. BUILD POULTRY HOUSES FOR YOUR BIRDS: The poultry houses have to be built and fitted to specification to accommodate the poultry birds. Lightening, measurements, cages or batches e.t.c
5. BUY POULTRY BIRDS: It is advisable that you buy them as day-old chicks to raise them to be any type of poultry you want them to be.
6. BUY POULTRY FEEDS: Of course, the poultry feeds to be bought depend on the type of bird you intend to raise. Consult with experts
7. Employ a skilled helper on your poultry farm.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and Google plus.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.