Check NYC Civil Service Exams 2020 Registration Guide on Portal.
NYC Civil Service Exams 2020 – New York City’s civil service process is directed by the New York State Civil Service Law, which make sure that the hiring process is competitive and fair.
NYC Civil Service Exams 2020
The process starts with employment exams that measure a potential candidate’s merit and also their fitness for a particular title.
In some cases, taking an exam is the beginning of an employment process that may lead to employment with NYC Health + Hospitals.
In this article, my main emphasis is going to be on the NYC civil service exams.
New York law entails that candidates for most New York City jobs take and pass a competitive civil service exam before they can be employed to become permanent employees.
These exams assess a candidate’s qualifications for a particular Civil Service title. The tests are planned to ensure that the employment process is competitive and fair.
Each exam has a filing period during which applications are accepted. Before applying for an exam, you should conduct a thorough review of the official Notice of Examination (NOE), which defines the duties of the job and provides the qualification requirements, test description, filing period, expected exam date and other important information about the exam.
Applicants who pass an examination are ranked in order from highest to lowest score and are placed on a civil service list.
When a City agency has an employment need, candidates are called from this list, interviewed and considered for hiring based on the order of their test score. Scores usually remain active for four years.
There are three types of competitive examinations:
- Open Competitive:
This is open to anyone who meets the minimum qualifications
It is open to only current permanent and 55 employees in an eligible title.
- Qualified Incumbent Examinations (QIEs):
It is open to only non-permanent (provisional) city employees who have served at least two years in specified titles.
The competitive exams can be administered in different formats, including Multiple-Choice, Education, and Experience (E&E) and Practical and Physical, among others. The NOE specifies the type of exam that will be given.
How to Sign Up for an Exam
- Sign in or create a personal NY.gov ID Account.
- In the ‘Examinations’ card on the homepage, select ‘Exams Open to the Public’.
- Tap on an Exam Title and read through the specifics of the exam to see if you meet the qualifications.
- When you’re ready to sign up, click the blue ‘How to Apply’ button at the top OR scroll to the middle of the page and click the ‘Apply Now’ button.
- If you are approved to take the exam, you will receive an admission notice to the exam informing you where and when you will take your exam.
After You Sign Up
- You will receive a notice in the mail letting you know if you were approved to take the exam. If approved, the notice will also inform you of where and when to take the exam.
- Your exam results will be mailed to you approximately 90 days after you sit for the exam.
- Based on your exam score and other qualifications, you may be contacted by a state agency that is hiring.
- If you are contacted by a state agency, they will instruct you on how to apply for the position.
- If you are not contacted within 90 days, you may not have qualified for the position. However, you will remain eligible for other qualifying jobs and can be contacted for up to four years after taking the exams.
If you have already taken and passed a state exam, you can wait to be contacted by a state agency or you can be proactive in your job search and apply for open positions at StateJobsNY.
- Visit the State Jobs Website.
- SelectFor the General Public.
- Click Vacancieson the left side of the page.
- Select a job title and read through the job specifics.
- If you qualify, follow the instructions on how to apply.
If an exam is required, the listing will have instructions on how to sign up.
You can also search for job openings by agency.
How long does it take to receive results for a civil service exam?
Generally, it can take anywhere from six months to one year for the results of an exam administered by DCAS to be published.
Please note that NYC Health + Hospitals do not have these results until you receive your official Notice of Result.
Does passing a civil service exam mean that I will get a job with NYC Health + Hospitals?
Not necessarily. Passing candidates will be placed on an eligible list in score number order for use in filling job vacancies in the exam title across our facilities.
We will then call candidates in score number order to attend hiring pools, where they will have the opportunity to interview for vacant positions.
What do I do if my address changes?
If your address changes after you have filed for an exam but before you receive your Notice of Result, you must change your address with DCAS either by:
- Sending a letter stating your social security number, exam title, exam number, old address and new address to:
DCAS Examining Service Section
Attention: Record Room
1 Centre Street
14th Floor South
New York, NY 10007; or
- By downloading, completing and submitting a Data Correction Formto DCAS, following the instructions on the form.
If your address changes after you have received your Notice of Result, you must change your address with NYC Health + Hospitals by downloading and completing the Change of Address Form (HHC 2843) and submitting it either by:
- Email to [email protected]; or
- Postal mail to the address on the form
Please note that changing your address with DCAS after you receive your results will not change your address with NYC Health + Hospitals.
This information that has been provided may be of help to you anytime.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
Tags: apply for civil service exam, civil service exam schedule ny, dcas exam results, dcas exam schedule 2020, nyc civil service jobs, nys civil service exam schedule 2020, when is the next sanitation exam