Job at Maersk Line for a Port Captain in Lagos.
Maersk Line is the world’s largest container shipping company, known for reliable, flexible and eco-efficient services. We operate 610 container vessels and provide ocean transportation in all parts of the world. But not only do we power some of the world’s largest ships – we also propel the growth ambitions of businesses and individuals all over our planet.
Every day our 7,000 seafarers and 25,000 land-based employees at 374 offices share their expertise with our customers around the world to optimize their supply chains, maximize their distribution networks and most of all realize their business potential.
We are devoted to creating simple and reliable solutions for our partners, continuously lifting industry standards and enabling global trade in the most sustainable manner possible. What we do is more than shipping. We deliver promises. Promises from customers and businesses all over the world.
Maersk Line is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Port Captain, Nigeria
- As the ideal candidate, you are passionate about Operations and have a strong desire to drive and improve Maersk Line’s performance within the Container Terminal environment, never accepting the status quo. You have a sound operations background, work well unsupervised and understand the challenges of working with different stakeholders in a dynamic environment.
- The ‘Operations Performance Partner’ is the representative of the AFRLOC and will be physically based in key strategic ports. You act as both the local entry point to stakeholders and as guardian of local Waterside Operations Execution for all ports and vessels within your geographical scope.
- You will be required to build relationships with relevant key stakeholders (Terminal, Port authorities, 3rd party service providers, ML vessel command, etc.) and use those relationships to coordinate the continuous improvement and stabilisation of operation’s execution.
- You will be based in Lagos, Nigeria and will report directly to the AFRLOC Marine Manager, forming an essential part of the Africa Liner Operations Cluster, which is situated in Cape Town, South Africa.
- As guardian of local operations execution, you will lead a team of 2 x Waterside Operations Coordinators (based in Onne and Lagos), whom will identify non-adherence to operational standards with the aim of improving and resolving these. You will assist the AFRLOC with the creation and execution of contingencies and also support the execution staff in AFRLOC with port and process specific knowledge/updates to enable/assist/improve their day to day execution efforts.
- Lead your team, providing coaching, training and improving their execution processes.
- Drive and improve port productivity and reduce vessel port stay by executing the port call gameplan.
- Logging and resolving of all Vessel, Equipment and Cargo claims within the Container Terminal
- Informing the AFRLOC of progress on the execution of the agreed capacity and marine plans (berthing lineup, execution of stowage plan, sitrep monitoring) per vessel.
- Help the AFRLOC and the local organization make well informed choices between commercial upsides and operational exposures
- Ensure the Terminal, Port Authorities and Stevedore execute the plans of the AFRLOC for each vessel; this includes addressing and resolving Stowage related issues.
- Identify and address operational stoppages, with view to eliminate, by Root cause analysis, process improvement and best sharing practices.
- Build and maintain Internal and External relationships and ensure engagement with all stakeholders.
Who we are looking for
- At least a Marine Diploma or an equivalent level in Shipping, Logistics, Transport or science background is preferred
- At least 5-8 years’ experience in a transportation/container business role within operations, capacity management, Marine or Cargo Execution
- Previous experience in Operations Execution as Port Captain, Operations Manager etc.
- Working knowledge of Maersk Line systems (e.g. RKEM, GSIS, GCSS) is imperative
In addition to providing constantly challenging and enriching work experience, we offer the following learning and development opportunities:
- Process Improvement
- Global (multi-cultural) communication and interaction
- Diverse stakeholder management
- Strategy deployment
- Performance Management
CLICK HERE for more information.
We believe this article was interesting, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, Twitter or Google+
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.