Systems Administrator Job Description – If you have ever considered a career in the information technology field, becoming a systems administrator would definitely be a great starting point! Organizations and businesses of all sizes have a sizable network and computer infrastructure and desire highly skilled administrators who have the experience and knowledge to manage these seemingly complicated and complex operations.
Perhaps you want to take a job up in this field, then this article is aimed at providing you with the necessary information you will need to make you fit as a system administrator.
Duties of a System Administrator
- The System Administrator designs and oversees local area networks, wide area networks, and network segments. A system Operators daily tasks may include installing, upgrading and monitoring software and hardware.\
- The System Administrator will maintain the essentials such as operating systems, business applications, security tools, web-servers, email, laptop, and desktop PCs.
- The System Administrator must have a deep and broad knowledge of computer software, hardware, and networks. He/she will be responsible for designing, organizing, modifying, and supporting our company’s computer systems.
- The role may include some mundane tasks, but each one is essential for the continued running of IT operations, to prevent problems and to improve systems’ performance. The system administrator is there to keep the company’s network safe and running efficiently.
Objectives of the Role of a System Administrator
The main objectives of the role of a system administrator entail
- Maintaining essential IT operations, including operating systems, security tools, applications, servers, email systems, laptops, desktops, software, and hardware
- Owning projects, solutions, and key responsibilities within a larger business initiative
- Handling business-critical IT tasks and systems that provide a commercial advantage in a global marketplace
- Enabling faster and smarter business processes and implement analytics for meaningful insights
- Nurturing dependable IT infrastructure and networking that’s always up and running
- Partnering with internal and external partners to communicate project status, activities, and achievements
A System Administrator’s Job Description
A system administrator carries out certain responsibilities which are in line with this field and is usually referred to as his job description and to this, the job description of a system administrator includes that he.
Manages the day-to-day operations of the PCC host computers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance, and repair. Ensures that records of system downtime and equipment inventory are properly maintained. Applies revisions to host system firmware and software. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
Develops new system and application implementation plans, custom scripts and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware developed and/or acquired.
Supervises Operations staff including hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining. May guide or provide work direction to technical staff, contract staff and/or student employees. Determines appropriate coverage for all hours of operation.
Performs troubleshooting as required. As such, leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel and/or organizations, Establishes, maintains and manages users Unix accounts. Installs modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software.
Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems, disk arrays, fiber channel switches, tape libraries, and other components, Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission-critical host computer resources, Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
Develops procedures, programs and documentation for backup and restoration of host operating systems and host-based applications, Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on customer organizations.
Provides leadership in the planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
Develops tools, procedures, and training sessions for Operations, Client Support, and Systems Development staff to assist with work, Manages the data center and computer host systems including hardware, software, and equipment such as air-conditioning system, UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for PCC to take advantage of new technology.
A system Administrators Job Requirements
As a system administrator, certain skill and knowledge are required of you to be able to perform actively in this field of work, these requirements include
A system administrator requires an Ability to Plan, organize and document complex system design activities and to configure systems to be consistent with institutional policies/procedures; communicate technical/complex information both verbally and in writing; establish and maintain cooperation, understanding, trust, and credibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently and respond to emergency situations effectively.
- A Bachelor degree in Computer Sciences, Technology, degree or relevant experience
- Specific experience with Microsoft Operating Systems 2008R2 to 2012 R2, and Microsoft Exchange Server 2013
- Specific experience with Symantec Backup Exec
- An Experience with Cisco ASA firewall technology and Cisco switching and routing
- An Experience with Symantec Endpoint Protection
- An Experience with Barracuda Internet and the email-filtering appliance is a plus
- An Experience with VMware 5.5 including VLAN and Enterprise Plus features
- An Experience with iSCSI SANS; Dell EQ and NetApp knowledge
- An Ability to create scripts in Python, Perl or other languages
- A BSc/Ba in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related discipline; professional certification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)) is a plus
Salary Information of a System Administrator
According to data from some recruitment website for July 2018, the average annual systems administrator salary in the US is $71,238. The range is quite broad, with a starting salary of around $20,000 and the top end around $153,000.
Three main factors affect how much a sysadmin makes:
- Level of experience. According to another recruiting website Glassdoor.com, the entry-level systems administrator salary (up to 3 years of experience) can reach $63,073 per year; the salary of a mid-career specialist (4–9 years) can reach $75,481 per year; an experienced specialist with 10–14 years of experience earns about $81,329 per year; and a late-career specialist with 15+ years of experience earns about $87,157 per Year
- Position. According to Indeed.com, the average annual salary for junior system administrators is around $54,412; senior system administrators earn $84,961.
- Geographic location. According to Indeed.com, the systems administrator pay scale varies dramatically by location; for example, sysadmins in Virginia (the U.S. state with the highest annual salary) make 65% more than those from Mississippi, the state with the lowest annual salary.
Don’t be afraid to go forward in realizing your dream to become a systems admin. Systems administrators are in high demand and will continue to demand great and large salaries, so brace up and develop yourself enough to be able to grab opportunities just as they come around.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.