How to Produce Detergent Powder for Business | Most Used Method.
Produce Detergent Powder: If you still do not know the importance of a powder detergent: Maybe you should ask a mother of four. Then you will know, “powder detergents”, it is the life saver! This article is a comprehensive guide on how to capitalize on the production of Powdered Detergents as a business.
Regardless of your perspective on life, you will agree with me that cleanliness is next to godliness. It is not surprising; Nigerian parents do not joke with powdered detergent.
With the present economic situation in Nigeria, learning how to make detergents and starting a detergent manufacturing business is not a bad idea. Millions of Nigerians use detergents daily, both for domestic and commercial use.
Anyone can go into this business without a degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry. Also, detergents have more market than the bar or laundry soaps mainly because they clean better. However, the chemicals used for their production are almost similar to that used for laundry soap production.
Currently, there are many brands of detergents on the market due to the huge dividends that could be withdrawn from their production. This should not scare you because millions of people still need your product because the demand is huge. In addition, the production of detergents is easy and does not require much capital, so you should not be afraid.
There are two forms of detergents:
- Powdered detergents and
- Liquid detergents
Both types of detergents make use of the same chemicals; but the difference lies in the fact that one is oil based while the other is water based. We will be treating the production of both types but we will start with the production of powdered detergents.
Production of Powdered Detergents
Chemicals Required For Detergent Production
The following are the chemicals you would need for making powdered detergents and their purposes.
- Caustic soda
- Light soda ash
- Palm kernel oil
- Sodium sulphate
- Hydrogen peroxide – acts as a catalyst in facilitating the rate of the reaction; transforming them to powder.
- Ammonia solution – aids the hydrogen peroxide in transforming the chemicals to powder
- Sulphonic acid – acts as a forming agent. Also acts as an anti-aging agent for the skin.
- 2 fermenting tanks
- Drying machine
- Grinding machine or grater
- Mixing tank
- Rubber gloves
- Caustic – 6kg
- Light Ash Soda – 800g
- Palm Kernel Oil – 8kg
- Sodium sulphate – 150g
- Kaolin – 125g
- Sulphonic acid – 800g
- Hydrogen peroxide – 250litres
- Ammonia solution – 400 litres
- Put the caustic soda into one of the fermenting tanks. Add four litres of water. Stir thoroughly; cover tightly and leave to ferment for 48 hours. The concentration should be kept at 1, 275.
- Put the light soda ash, kaolin and sodium sulphate into the fermenting tank and add 2.8 litres of water. Stir thoroughly, cover tightly and keep aside for 24 hours to allow for fermentation. The concentration should be 1, 200.
- After 48 hours, set up the heating system and pour in the palm kernel oil. You could also use ground nut or vegetable oil. Add colorant and allow to heat. Make sure you heat properly and then allow it to cool.
- Set up mixer and gradually pour in the fermented caustic soda.
- Gradually add the fermented light soda ash as mixing continues
- Add the sulphonic acid gradually as the mixing continues
- Also add the hydrogen peroxide and ammonia solution as you continue to mix
- Add perfume and mix continuously for about 5 minutes. Allow about 5 hours for the mixture to set.
- After setting, transfer the mixture to the drier and allow to get dried
- Grind the mixture after its dried and then package for usage or sale.
- Caustic soda – 2 milk tins
- Light soda ash – 1 milk tin
- Palm kernel oil – 6 milk tins
- Kaolin – 1/6 milk tin
- Sodium sulphate – 1/8 milk tin
- Hydrogen peroxide – 1/3 milk tin
- Ammonia solution – ½ milk tin
- Colour pigment
- Measuring cup
- 2 rubber bowls (with covers)
- Mixing stick
- Stove and pot
- Pour the caustic soda into one of the rubber bowl. Add 6 milk tins of water
- Stir thoroughly; cover and keep aside for 48 hours
- Pour the light soda, kaolin and sodium sulphate into the second bowl and add 4 milk tins of water. Stir thoroughly, cover it up and keep aside for 24 hours.
- After 48 hours, place the palm kernel oil on the fire, adding the colouring pigment. Allow heating.
- Heat properly; remove from the fire and allow to cool down. Pour into the bucket.
- Pour in the fermented caustic soda gradually while stirring the mixture with the mixing stick.
- Gradually add the fermented soda ash as you continue with the stirring
- Add the sulphonic acid as the stirring continues
- Also add the hydrogen peroxide as the stirring continues
- Also add the ammonia solution as you continue to stir
- Finally, add the perfume and stir thoroughly for about 5 minutes to allow proper blending of the chemicals
- Keep the mixture aside for about 5 hours to allow setting
- After about 5 hours, spread the soap in the sun to allow drying
- Pour the dried soap in the grater and grind properly and carefully
- Finally package the product and your powdered detergent is ready
You can now start making money from this business because the necessary guide you need have been provided.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was interesting right, if yes, don’t hesitate using our share button below to inform – friends and relation via Facebook, twitter or Google+
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.