Apply Now for International NGO Safety Organisation Job in Nigeria for a Safety Advisor – North. INSO supports the humanitarian community with vital coordination and information services that save lives and improve access.
INSO Nigeria is now in its opening phase. A coordination office will be opened in Abuja, and an operational office in Maiduguri. INSO Nigeria will focus its operations on North Eastern part of Nigeria.
Job Title: Safety Advisor – North
We are now seeking a suitable candidate to join our team as a Safety Advisor for North Eastern Nigeria, based in Maiduguri, with frequent travels throughout the region. This is a truly unique and rewarding role, and will effectively help bring vital aid to thousands of people that have been trapped and displaced by violence.
The Safety Advisor for Nigeria will combine a strong humanitarian and safety background with experience of a similar country risk context, a clear understanding of humanitarian safety principles, conflict analysis and with a flexible, outgoing personality he/she will be able to interpret and articulate and publish best information and principled, expert advice to a broad range of humanitarian actors.
He/She will be able to represent INSO to a diverse and important audience of members, and wide network of contacts including UN agencies, international donors and international organisations to local communities and community leaders, extolling humanitarian principles and good safety practices and throughout seeking and advocating access to those at risk and whose suffering will be eased where humanitarian access can be achieved and aid delivered
Further responsibilities include: (The list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: other tasks may be requested to adapt to operational needs.)
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily FLASH alerts, weekly incident lists, bi-weekly and quarterly analytical reports.
- Facilitate and lead regular NGO community security roundtables in your region of responsibility, presenting trends and facilitating discussions.
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small office team including supervising national staff (10) and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3 years spent in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Proven writing and analytical abilities (sample requested).
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices & principles and their application
Preferred Characteristics: (Not mandatory, but advantageous. Please specify in cover letter)
- Master degree in Journalism, Communication, Political Sciences,
- History, or other relevant field Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields
- Minimum of two (2) recent years of experience in Nigeria, and demonstrate advanced knowledge with the historical and current social, political, and security contexts within the region.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management
- Direct experience and involvement in a crisis management role.
- Detailed understanding of INSO mandate and services.
- Existing (relevant) local information networks and contacts.
- Information management and GIS skills
Terms and Conditions: 12 month contract (renewable), €4550 per month salary, global medical coverage, €150000 AD&D coverage. 7 Days of R&R every two months. 4 days of leave per full month (when calculating the leave days the count starts on the first working day after you depart and then week-ends and public holidays are counted in the calculation). Based in Maiduguri (non-family duty station). Accommodation provided by INSO.
Starting Date: ASAP
How to apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to [email protected] no later than 17:00GMT on 30 Sept 2016 and reference ‘SA Nigeria’ in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
- Up to date CV (5 page maximum).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (10 page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.