South Africa Visa Application Guide and Requirements
South Africa Visa Application – Visitors’ visas are mainly for intercontinental travelers who have permanent abode outside South Africa and who also wish to visit the country on a temporary basis may be for holiday or business purposes for a period of about 90 days or less.
A visa shows that an application has been gone through at a South African embassy, mission or consulate and that the consular officer has determined you are qualified to enter the country for a particular purpose.
The visa will permit you to travel to a South African port of entry where an immigration official will then decide if you are allowed to enter South Africa and for how long you can stay for that particular visit.
On entry to South Africa, a visa is considered to be a visitor’s permit. The permit’s period of validity is calculated from the date you enter into the country and will be set out under the heading “conditions” on the visa label.
You must ensure that you apply for the correct visa. Entry in the country may be refused if the purpose of the visit was not correctly stated.
In this article, I will be emphasizing on South African visa application.
Know Your Type Of Visa
Short Term Visa
In South Africa, visas for tourism and for visiting family and friends are issued for a maximum of three months.
Short term visit visas do not allow the applicant to switch into a longer term South African immigration service and although short term study is permitted, an applicant may not study for longer than the grant of their visa.
Where students wish to continue studying in South African for longer than three months a study visa application must be submitted.
Unlike a visit visa, a student visa allows the candidate to engage in limited employment, however in both cases, permits are issued for temporary residence and candidates must return to their country of residency upon expiry.
Long term visa
South African visitors’ visas may be granted for:
- visits to family or friends and also for tourism purposes
- business purposes
- spouse to join a spouse who is in South Africa on a work or study permit
- children to join parents who are in South Africa on work or study permits
- fiancee/ fiance to join his or her partner with the intention of marrying within 90 days
- study purposes (max stay 3-months)
- charitable or voluntary activities
- to work in the production of a movie or show (i.e. in the entertainment industry)
- for medical purposes (max stay 3-months)
- sport events
Documents Required to Apply for a visa
- A passport or travel document valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of your intended visit
- Your passport must have at least TWO unused pages for entry/departure endorsements
- A completed Form BI-84 (application for a visa)
- Payment of the prescribed fee
- A yellow-fever vaccination certificate (if required)
- Statement and documentation confirming the purpose and duration of your visit
- Two color passport photographs
- A return or onward ticket if you are traveling by air
- If you have children (minors) traveling with you or joining in South Africa, you will need to provide the following additional documents
- Proof of guardianship or custody or
- Consent from the guardian in the case of an unaccompanied minor
- Proof of financial means to pay for your living expenses while in South Africa in the form of:
- Bank statements
- Salary Advances
- Undertakings by the host(s) in South Africa
- Medical cover or
- Cash available (including credit cards and travelers’ cheques)
Requirements for Entering South Africa
You will need the following if you wish to visit South Africa:
- A valid and acceptable passport or travel document for your intended stay
- At least one blank page in your passport for endorsements
- A valid visa, if required
- Sufficient funds to pay for your day-to-day expenses during your stay
- A return or onward ticket
- Yellow fever certificates if your journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America.
Don’t forget that there are certain goods that you cannot bring into South Africa and other goods on which duties need to be paid.
For Customs requirements, click here: http://www.sars.gov.za/ClientSegments/Customs-Excise/Travellers/Pages/Arrival-in-SA.aspx
For Agricultural requirements, click here: http://www.daff.gov.za/daffweb3/Services/Imports
Visa Application Process
Applicants are requested to read the following steps carefully before submitting their application at the South Africa visa application centers
Applicants are required to submit their applications personally at the VFS South Africa Visa Application centers
Make a clear copy of all the original documents, previous visas and two clear copies of a passport data page.
Complete the visa application form. You can download short term and long term visa application form from our website.
Pay your visa application fee and services fee in CASH at the bank teller counter at the Visa Application Center.
Along with your application form and documents mentioned on this site you can come to our application center. Please visit contact us page of this website for application acceptance timings and days.
This is how to apply for South Africa Visa Application
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now.
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.