Apply Now For Catholic Relief Services Job for a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator – 2016
Apply Now For Catholic Relief Services Job for a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator – 2016.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations.
We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) came to Nigeria in 1960 to provide humanitarian assistance to vulnerable populations in collaboration with the Catholic Church.CRS was forced to leave the country in 1970 during the Biafran war.However, in the late 1990s CRS Cameroon began outreach projects through the Catholic Church and in 1999 CRS opened a country office. Since then, CRS has been a continuous leader in development and humanitarian response within Nigeria – focusing on the three Strategic Program Areas of Agriculture, Health and Emergency Response.
Our current portfolio is quite diverse, and includes Emergency Response, Agriculture & Livelihood, Nutrition, HIV care and treatment, OVC, Malaria, Community TB, Immunization and Health Systems Strengthening. Major donors include the US government through USAID, , Global Fund, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator
The purpose of this position is to manage, strengthen, and provide strategic direction to the Nigeria Country Program MEAL system, ensure cross-learning in MEAL among projects, build the capacity of MEAL staff, and support the roll-out and implementation of the new MEAL policies and procedures. The MEAL Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating MEAL activities. The MEAL Coordinator will work closely with MEAL leads of various projects, program teams and partner staff to develop high quality monitoring systems and tools which address indicators set out in project proposals. He/she will ensure that accountability and learning from projects is systematically captured and used throughout the country program. He/she will also take learning needs into account, and develop and conduct capacity building for MEAL and program staff, with support of the DCR. The MEAL Coordinator will coordinate the implementation and maintenance of the country program learning agenda. The MEAL Coordinator will also work closely with the DCR to ensure that the Nigeria program complies with the agency’s regional and global MEAL systems and standards.
The MEAL Coordinator is expected to have a high level of self-initiative and use critical thinking skills to identify and fill gaps. The MEAL Coordinator should also have the ability to work sensitively and positively with programming teams and promote a learning environment – success of the post relies on this.
- MEAL Strategy & Design
• Ensure that the Nigeria Country Program MEAL systems are in compliance with CRS’ global and regional MEAL policies, procedures, standards, and strategic initiatives
• Provide strategic direction for the development and maintenance of MEAL systems, and the roll-out of new initiatives
• Support the project MEAL and project management teams, /working group members in the design and implementation of assessments, gender analysis, stakeholder analysis, organizational capacity assessments, and other pre-program data collection and analysis
• Provide strategic high level feedback, analysis and interpretation throughout the proposal development process
• Support the development and review of Results Frameworks, ProFrames, M&E Plans, and Analysis Plans
• Ensure the consistency of tools and indicators across all offices, sectors, and programs as appropriate, maintaining a bank of key program indicators
• Support programming staff to incorporate participatory methods into community level M&E systems and tools
• Collect and analyze lessons learned and best practices from previous and ongoing programs, capturing the impact of activities, and ensuring that these are incorporated into the design of new projects
• Support lessons learned, best practices, program data, evaluations, and other information to generate donor communication pieces, proposal annexes, success stories, case studies, and other high-quality, results-based documentation
• Ensure that all programs comply with the CRS accountability framework
• Work with senior management to identify and pursue strategic opportunities for program development, expansion, etc.
- MEAL Implementation
• Provide technical support for project monitoring design initiatives including: tool design, data collection processes, and analysis methods using the SMILER method
• Manage agency driven MEAL inquiries, requirements (i.e. end of year beneficiary counts, and MEAL annual self-assessments)
• Contribute to donor proposals and reports, through high quality analysis of reports and interpretation of data
• Support the MEAL team in strategically preparing and reviewing MEAL calendars
• Provide technical support into MEAL operation manuals to ensure that they are complete, up-to-date, high quality, and contain tools, data flow maps, and analysis plans that address all information needed for program quality and donor reporting
• Support learning-to-action events and reflection sessions to systematically analyze data for programmatic use, and to document and incorporate lessons learned into program design and implementation
• Ensure that MEAL and program teams regularly review and accordingly adjust MEAL plans and tools in the light of changes and needs in the field context based on monitoring data and reflection sessions
• Provide technical support for real-time evaluations, internal end-of-project evaluations, needs assessments, baselines, impact studies, case studies, and other evaluation efforts
• Ensure that transparent high quality accountability mechanisms are in place for all programs and are regularly monitored and evaluated
• Ensure that beneficiary feedback is adequately captured, addressed, analyzed, and utilized by program teams
• Lead CRS teams in conducting internal impact and sustainability evaluations, and supporting external impact and sustainability evaluations
· Provide oversight for MEAL knowledge management within the country program
· Provide support for MEAL plans as part of the proposal submission process, and participate in defining MEAL strategies as part of the business development process
· Work with Program Managers to ensure that the country program is fully compliant with MEAL Policies and Procedures.
- Capacity Strengthening
• Lead the CRS Nigeria MEAL Community of Practice (CoP)
• Develop and co-facilitate MEAL workshops and modules for staff and partners to share country program, regional, and global MEAL tools, processes, and best practices to cultivate a culture of learning
• Conduct orientations for new MEAL and program staff on CRS systems and key MEAL resources
• Provide mentoring/accompaniment to CRS and partner staff to increase capacity and to achieve annual performance and development plans
• Remain updated with developments among the CRS MEAL community and worldwide MEAL trends and resources, and ensure that the Nigeria MEAL team is applying CRS MEAL guidance and policies appropriately and in a timely manner
• Conduct field monitoring visits events frequently with project teams and implementing partners
• Provide feedback to senior project and MEAL staff to improve the overall MEAL system and ensure quality implementation of MEAL activities
4. ICT for MEAL
• Support MEAL and programming teams to develop strong project tracking, record keeping and filing methodologies for all activities
• Work with the Project MEAL leads, ICT4D Manager and IT staff to maximize the value and utility of ICT4 D initiatives including the use of iFormBuilder, Farmbook, Klipfolio, and/or the roll out of similar initiatives
· Oversee onboarding and orientation of new staff to MEAL and ICT4D/E
· Lead case studies, undertake research, and promote the creative application of new ICT4D/E technologies
Agency-wide Competencies (specific for this position)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results. The following are specific to this position:
• Serves with Integrity
• Develops Constructive Relationships
• Models Stewardship
Key MEAL Competencies (specific for this position)
• MEAL in Design: Developing project-level Theories of Change, Results Frameworks, Proframes, related MEAL system tools and components, and accompanying MEAL narratives.
• Monitoring: Implementing monitoring activities, including timely collection of quality data, set up and maintenance of databases, facilitation of participatory reflection on monitoring results, and submission of timely progress reports.
• Evaluation: Supporting project and program evaluations and reviews by ensuring the quality of evaluation methods, tools, and data and facilitating the use of evaluation results to inform decision-making and enhance learning.
• Accountability: Improving our accountability to a range of stakeholders through increased participation, transparent communication, responsive feedback mechanisms and adherence to internal and external quality standards and requirements.
• Learning: Promoting excellent knowledge management and collaborative learning processes at the project, program and institutional levels, generating robust evidence for project and programmatic learning that leads to action, decision-making and influence.
• Analysis and Critical Thinking: Engaging with data, challenging biases and assumptions, posing thoughtful questions, pursuing deeper understanding of evidence through reflection and perspective-taking, and making informed programming decisions.
• ICT for MEAL : Applying knowledge on information and communication technologies (ICT), both hardware and software, for opportune and accurate data collection, database management, conducting
Key Working Relationships
Internal : Country Representative, Deputy Country Representative, Chiefs of Party, Heads of Unit, , Project MEAL leads, Central Africa Regional Team, CRS M&E Community of Practice
External : Donors, international and local partners, and program beneficiaries
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position will oversee one staff member, an Accountability Manager.
• Master’s degree in a field related to international development
• At least 3-5 years of managerial experience with an NGO (experience with INGO preferred); in addition to significant MEAL experience
• Experience working with large donors e.g.: USAID (including PEPFAR, FFP, FtF, OFDA offices), Global Fund, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
• Familiarity with principles and current approaches to MEAL of development programs using both quantitative and qualitative methods, especially those of USAID and Global Fund
• Experience with participatory MEAL systems
• Proficiency in database development/management, SPSS, EPI-Info, Access, Excel and skills in analyzing, interpreting and communicating information to various stakeholders
• Experience using ICT for data collection and information visioning and mapping using GIS
• Significant experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative assessments and surveys (including sound understanding of sampling issues)
• Experience using appreciative inquiry and conflict sensitivity techniques
• Previous experience with leading and managing studies and consultants
• Experience with facilitation, capacity strengthening and partnership building, with the capacity to empower staff through opportunities for growth & development
• Ability to transfer knowledge through formal and informal training
• Supervisory experience and management and team building skills
• Excellent planning and organization skills
• Flexibility to work both in a team and independently
• Cultural sensitivity, patience and flexibility
• Demonstrated personal accountability and driven to serve others
• Fluency in English (written and spoken)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to work well with people, good judgment and commitment to CRS’ mission
• Willingness to travel to different locations in Nigeria
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!
COPYRIGHT WARNING! Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.