University of Cape Town Admission Form, UCT Application Guide and Requirement.
University of Cape Town Admission Form | The University of Cape Town (UCT) is a public research university located in Cape Town in the Western Cape province of South Africa. UCT was founded in 1829 as the South African College making it the oldest higher education institute in South Africa, it is jointly the oldest university in South Africa and the oldest extant university in Sub-Saharan Africa alongside Stellenbosch University which received full university status on the same day in 1918.
University of Cape Town Admission Form
UCT is the highest-ranked African university in the QS World University Rankings, the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities, and its Law and Commerce Faculties are consistently placed among the hundred best internationally. The language of instruction is English.
Undergraduate Diploma Study
The minimum requirement for admission to undergraduate diploma study is a National Senior Certificate (NSC) as certified by Umalusi with an achievement rating of 3 (Moderate Achievement, 40-49%) or better in four recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
Bachelor’s Degree Study
To be eligible for admission to degree study, applicants need to meet minimum requirements for eligibility:
- Applicants holding a South African National Senior Certificate need to pass a minimum of four subjects at a rating of 4 (Adequate Achievement, 50-59%) or better from a designated list of subjects. The designated list is as follows:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Business Studies
- Dramatic Arts
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- Consumer Studies
- Information Technology
- Languages (one language of learning and teaching at a higher education institution and two other recognised language subjects)
- Life Sciences
- Mathematical Literacy
- Physical Sciences
- Religious Studies
- Visual Arts
- Applicants holding a South African Senior Certificate need matriculation endorsement.
- Applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates must qualify for a matriculation exemption certificate. For more information please visit the website of the Matriculation Board.
Minimum language proficiency
All applicants must have attained a certain level of proficiency in English and are required to submit evidence of this, as outlined below, as part of their application to study.
UCT language policy in respect of South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants
- South African Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT must have achieved a pass of 40% or more on the Higher Grade in English (First or Second Language) at Senior Certificate level.
UCT language policy in respect of South African National Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants.
- South African National Senior Certificate undergraduate applicants to UCT, must have achieved a rating of 2 (Elementary Achievement, 30-40%) or better at Home Language or First Additional Language level.
UCT language policy in respect of applicants holding non-South African school-leaving certificates
- A pass in English language at A-level, As-level, IGCSE, GCSE or O-level, International Baccalaureate or a level equivalent to any of those listed here.
- A score of at least 570 (for the paper-based test) or at least 230 (for the computer-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The score must be obtained no more than five years prior to application.
- A recent overall band score of 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0.
For further information on the IELTS and TOEFL exams, please
contact the UCT English Language Centre.
Calculating Admissions Points Score (APS)
The percentages achieved in National Senior Certificate examinations (preliminary and final examinations) will be allocated an admission score equal to that percentage.
The sum of six subjects, excluding Life Orientation, but including English and any required subject(s) for the relevant programme, is considered when deciding on admission. (For example, for a given programme where Maths and Physical Sciences are required, we will take scores for English, Maths, Physical Sciences and the next best three subjects other than Life Orientation to compute the NSC score towards the APS.)
Results below 40% for any subject do not attract a score.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible in the application cycle, which commences in April of every year. Here is a breakdown of the application process:
Step 1: Get Your Application Form.
- Online Application: Undergraduate and postgraduate applicants use the same online application process.
- Hardcopy Application:
This option is only available to undergraduate applicants. Postgraduates need to apply online.
You can post your application to:
The Admissions Office
University of Cape Town
c/o Bremner Building Lower Campus
Step 2: Complete your application form in full.
*Remember you’ll need an email address. Don’t have one? Get an email address here.
Step 3: Attach all supporting documents.
Step 4: Complete a student accommodation form.
Step 5: Find Funding.
Check out all the available funding opportunities on EduFunding.
South Africans learners wishing to apply online will need a working email address and an ID number. Foreign learners wishing to apply will need to have their passport number.
We cherish your opinion and we look forward to it. Hence, if you need us to feed you with more updated information at the right time about University of Cape Town Admission, kindly subscribe with your email address to our newsletter.
What’s your take on this? We believe this article was helpful, if yes, don’t hesitate to share this information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and Google plus.
Join Over 500,000+ Readers Online Now!Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [[email protected]] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
MOST RELATED POST
Tags: 2018/2019 University of Cape Town Admission, How to Apply for University of Cape Town Admission, stellenbosch online application, uct application 2018, uct application closing dates, uct application fee, uct application form 2018 pdf, uct application forms 2018 download pdf, uct application requirements, uct online application status, University of Cape Town, University of Cape Town Admission, University of Cape Town Admission Form, University of Cape Town Admission Guide, University of Cape Town Admission Guidelines, University of Cape Town Application Form 2018, University of Cape Town Requirement